Sign in to follow this  
Rams

Im buying my old Golf back again

Hi all

On my old Mk2 Golf Gti 8 Valve - d plate, I have fitted a set of Coilovers. Will these fit my CVR6? I have a feeling they will but just wanted to ask the experts!

Also, the nice Eibach front strut bar - polished -, that should go on no problem? I even have the original bolts for where you drill up through the strut tops / legs.

Can anyone reasure me that these items will fit? My friend fitted his MK2 coilover kit to his Corrado VR6 and his golf MK3 so I am thinking it will be fine.

Not sure about the coil overs mate but I know 100% certain that the strut brace will not fit the Corrado VR6 engine bay... it might be wide enough but it WILL foul on the abs unit / water res tank, etc....

I have seen the same strut brace on a G60. Are they different to the VR? Isnt the ABS unit right down the bottom of teh engine bay?

I have seen the same strut brace on a G60. Are they different to the VR? Isnt the ABS unit right down the bottom of teh engine bay?

My G60 ABS unit is just below the water tank

Yes - the VR6 engine sits higher hence the need for the 'bulge' bonnet... for the engine to clear...

Also on the VR6 the ABS modules sit next to the water res. tank... or just in front of it - to get the strut to clear I imagine you would need to move these....

Am pretty sure would need to buy a brace for a VR6 - and am pretty sure would still have a couple of problems getting it to clear as its very tight between bonnet and engine.....

Cheers for your replies, I will give it ago and see whats what. I hope it can as its the nicest strut brace I have seen and Eibach have stopped selling that type as they couldnt get the waranty or something like that. The alloy header tank should be changable though. Its the Richbrook one with the sensor that fits in the top but there is obviously no level so I will have to keep checking the level. It should be fine as the headgasket had just been done and had all the coolant laeks sorted.

Can anyone clarify if the shocks will fit?

what coilovers are the cos umledd there adjustable they will be completly wrong weighted for the vr6 remember how much heavier the engine is etc

Heres a pic of the Nuespeed strut brace to give you an idea of how tight a fit it is.

Thats tighter than a nuns.........

Cheers for that mate! spoyt on. I am just thinking, the eibach one goes up a bit at the sides. I know jogn 16VG60 has the same strut brace as the mine. It probably wont fit! Well if I get it someone with a G60 could buy it! They looks well smart and I have the original unused bolts for it. I lost them out of the pack when I first got the brace then later found them and have kept them ever since. It was fate! Joke!

Its not my car, just a pic I had saved.

I am looking to get a strut brace though. NS racing list one but the prices are in dollers so im waiting on an email back. Apparently theres a place in Croydon called Eurotek that does them for about £95, only mod that needs done is a bracket to move the coolant tank forward about 5".

Im also gonnae get a rear brace from Trimsport. 8)

I called Avo this morning and the shocks are the same except the front springs are stronger. Only cost me £55.11 delivered for their springs. So my VR will be low next week!! Cant wait! I have my small VR6 splitter ready to go on as my G60 front splitter will just hit everything!

Anyone on here run Avo coilovers? I know they are not as good as H&R, Koni etc but they are basically costing me very little. I have bought my old car back from £600 and I sold it to this guy 1 half years ago for £4500. Its had a lot of work done to it, including full leather re trim, mystic blue full re spray, 17 " Still Auto Racing C's, Rallye front, flush tailgate, re bored to 1.9.lightened and balanced, full stailness exhaust with straight through middle section, Samco hoses, alloy header tank and stainless power roar, Momo wheel and gear knob, later doors, elec window, central locking and alarm.

I dont know weather I should tidy it up and use it as a run around and give the C a rest or just take off a few bits and mod the C. The adjustables are going straight on, also the alloy expansion tank if it fits. Bonrath bonnett lifters too.

What should I do? I have been offered £600 for the car less the shocks, expansion tank and strut brace which is eibach. These are the items I would like to have on my C, so I have made some cash too! Thats not bad. I take it the samco hoses wont fit? The rims are a classic too, I love the still Auto Racing C rims, I think they suit all Vdubs.Its a sahme they are 4 stud. May sell them to a C owner? Not sure yet.

Joe M, Are rear strut braces worth having IYO? I never have tried a rear brace. Do trim sport make polished rear strut braces? How much are they mate?

Also, do you think the trim sport strut caps are worth buying?

Ive never tried either myself, but have heard good things. The trimsport one is polished and about £85. 8)

Are strut caps just the shiny things that cover the top of the struts? Ok I suppose if your into having lots of shiny bits but im more into function over form. :twisted:

Just remembered, doesnt g60jet have front and rear strut braces? Maybe worth asking Nigel what he thinks of them.

mate if i were you i would just sell the whole car on and im sure you would make enoughh profit to buy some brand new coilovers ... sounds like a nice golf to me. :lol: