Sign in to follow this  
redwoodkp

C wont start! Help needed

My C has been irratic for starting over the last few weeks. It's even not starting after I have just been driving it say drove round to the shop and came out it aint starting. The battery isnt dead cos i've tested it and the alternator was tested not so long ago, starter motor does though look like it hasn't been changed since new although when car doesn't start it just doesn't even attempt to tick over.

Me and my mate have came to the conclusion its a bad earth cos everytime we fiddle about with the wires underneath, close to and connected to the battery the cars starts.

Can anyone shed any light on this or if you've experienced this before do you have a conclusion??

Its a 1990 valver and im going to try and get a free check out at the local auto electrics tomorrow.

Cheers Kieran :)

I would check over everything again, even if it has recently been done

you know any history on when distributor was replaced, dizzy cap and arm?

chris

Could be that the poistive feed from the ignition to the starter solenoid is a bit dodgy - scarlett's is, and half the time it needs a hot-wire from the solenoid to the battery to start... :roll: I'd check that you're getting 12V there as yr first port of call...

ignition barell mate?...could be that?

Yeh i was thinking it could be. Sometimes when i go to start the car theres a delay from turning the key to it starting.

Problem is though looking closely theres so many wires exposed and dizzy cap not looking new with no signs of being changed in my fsh it may not be.

Even better it cud be two or three things, that would be awesome cos i aint got any cash with buying a house.

Cheers for the help! :D

This kind of problem happned to me 3 weeks ago in our polo 6n....There is a black box before distributor which is connected to the distributor by black thick wire like ignition wires I think its name is as corradowales says ignition barell.....

We changed it...It costed is 80 euro.....it is about 50 pound i think.....

VWci, that's a different part... the bit Corradowales means is where you put the key in...

It's actually the switch that brakes down on these cars and causes this kinda problem... they're only £20ish from the dealer (don't buy one from GSF or ECP as they're nowhere near as good!) and take about 30 mins to fit...

Some nice kind soul ( :lol: ) wrote a rather good "how to" on changing the switch too... ;) 8) :lol:

Cheers Henny will be getting in touch with me VW dealers.

I've been wiggling the key in the ignition everytime i go to start the car and so far it seems to be doing the trick.

My mechanic says its a common problem with vw's the golfs, jettas, ventos etc all seem to have it aswell.

Cheers for the help guys :D