Sign in to follow this  
dazzyvr6

spax coilovers

ive been offered some spax coilovers cheap,but there off a mk3 golf,but they just list them as normal golf gti and not vr6 would these be ok for my corrado vr6 as there only 2 months old and coming off a smashed up golf gti mk3(side impact)

they should fit ok.....well going by the fact that the koni coil-over kit is also suitable for the mk3 golf GTi(8v&16v) and the VR6 and is in fact the same koni kit number

they should fit ok.....well going by the fact that the koni coil-over kit is also suitable for the mk3 golf GTi(8v&16v) and the VR6 and is in fact the same koni kit number

Koni claim they valve their dampers to the car and aren't just generic "off the shelf" products. Is this proof that they're lying??

Kev

Koni claim they valve their dampers to the car and aren't just generic "off the shelf" products. Is this proof that they're lying??

Kev

i reckon the fact that the MK3 golf and the Corrado VR6 use the "plus" suspension and have a similar kerb-weight(wouldn't be too far out at the front especially) might be the reason why the kit is applicable to both the Corrado VR6 and all the performance versions of the MK3

Kev

yes. it does

i reckon the fact that the MK3 golf and the Corrado VR6 use the "plus" suspension and have a similar kerb-weight(wouldn't be too far out at the front especially) might be the reason why the kit is applicable to both the Corrado VR6 and all the performance versions of the MK3

Hear what you're saying Roddy but the VR6 front end is a lot heavier than a MK3 2.0 8V's! Maybe the shock body has the same part number but the valving inside is different?

Kev

Hear what you're saying Roddy but the VR6 front end is a lot heavier than a MK3 2.0 8V's! Maybe the shock body has the same part number but the valving inside is different?

Kev

The Koni's are made to fit a wide variety of vehicles, as has been pointed out. Koni make a Kit for a nonspecific Corrado which is the same kit for models of MKIII Golf and i think someone said MKII Golf, which should fit a MKIV Polo too.

Thats what my point about FK coilovers has been. They have car specific Kits. (ie. G60 and VR6 C's have different part numbers from each other and all other models too. (G60 and 16V are same for obvious reasons though.))

At the end of the day though. The Koni Kit is still a good piece of kit and lets face it, its always going to be better than standard isn't it.

Oh and while i'm at it, Star performance fitted my coilovers for me and the owner Jim told me of a car that came in with Spax coilovers on, he took it out for a test drive and could't believe how solid they were. When he went to check how it was set up, he found that it was set to the softest setting!!!!! :shock:

Kev

true mate,but a golf VR6 is only 20kg's lighter than a Corrado VR6,athough fair point both the 8v & 16v GTi's are about 80kg's lighter.......so maybe the valving is different......tbh doubt it is.......guess the best people to ask are koni themselves