Sign in to follow this  
Ronan

Rear Axle Poly Bushes

Right, the guy I bought the car from is sending me these as the ones on the car are badly corroded.

He said the reason he didn't fit them is because he had been told the car can become a bit "skittish" with these fitted? Does anyone have any experience of having these fitted on their own car, and how it handles with them on?

If it helps you out, the rest of the car is fully poly bushed, lowered 35mm on standard (i THINK, they may be uprated gas) shocks.

My Aqua G60 is lowered on Weitec coilovers and rear poly bushes, it certainly feels less planted than my Nugget on new OE rear bushes but certainly not dangerous feeling in any way

So would you buy VAG bushes now then if you had the choice? Or would you stay with the polys?

Also, how much did you pay for the poly bushes?

Its very much down to personal preferences, good suspension with OE bushes is my preference - they don't seem much harsher than the standard but there is a feeling of 205 GTI about the back end when pushed (ie oversteer)

Its very much down to personal preferences, good suspension with OE bushes is my preference - they don't seem much harsher than the standard but there is a feeling of 205 GTI about the back end when pushed (ie oversteer)

You get oversteer without the poly bushes you mean? And it stays in a straight line with them?

i have a crazy way to eplain my opinion..... if the rear of the car in corner was a sound.... then with poly rear bushes you get the sound of dead thud (like if u drop a piece of turf on teh ground). doomf...and it doesnt do anything else...the back end will stay the same until you straighten up. On OEM type bushes, you get a longer more dynamic sound.... like a slide whistle... where the more u turn in the more the pitch changes.

The car on standard bushes basically bends so that the wheels are always pointing hte way they are travelling, the car on poly will bend less so the wheels may start to slide earlier...but that doesnt necessarly mean u will point the wrong way instantly...as long as you foot is on the gas, a fwd car should never do that..... I cant even loose the back end of my car if i try to, but it does drift slightly when I am charging round a tight fast corner... like a big round about, or tight slip road. I couldnt change back to OE if you paid me.

Also.... this has been talked to death...cant u search on it?

i have a crazy way to eplain my opinion..... if the rear of the car in corner was a sound.... then with poly rear bushes you get the sound of dead thud (like if u drop a piece of turf on teh ground). doomf...and it doesnt do anything else...the back end will stay the same until you straighten up. On OEM type bushes, you get a longer more dynamic sound.... like a slide whistle... where the more u turn in the more the pitch changes.

The car on standard bushes basically bends so that the wheels are always pointing hte way they are travelling, the car on poly will bend less so the wheels may start to slide earlier...but that doesnt necessarly mean u will point the wrong way instantly...as long as you foot is on the gas, a fwd car should never do that..... I cant even loose the back end of my car if i try to, but it does drift slightly when I am charging round a tight fast corner... like a big round about, or tight slip road. I couldnt change back to OE if you paid me.

Also.... this has been talked to death...cant u search on it?

Loving that anology!! Dooomf lol!

I will search. I'm just lazy lol....

thanks for the feedback, think I will go with the poly bushes.

There have been loads of threads on this, you may find the search useful as andycowuk said. I've got standard bushes all round and I think there are far greater forces at work to determine handling like ride height, springs, dampers, age of current bushes, alignment, camber and temperature (with poly, they get harder in the cold). I use standard bushes front and rear and the handling is nice and progressive. I'm sure the differences are over-hyped. I'm sure VAG spent ages designing the compund used in the Corrrado and reached what they thought to be the optimum between comfort, noise and handling. Unless you spend all your time on a racetrack you'll probably prefer VAG ones.