Sign in to follow this  
wcrado

2 Types of 1.8 16V KR Engine?

I've noticed several times in different places that often 2 types of KR Engine are listed, 1 with 132bhp and 1 with 137. Most notibly today when looking through an NGK spark plug application book.In fact in this instance they were listed as 133bhp and 139bhp. Whats the difference? i know one is fitted with a cat maybe, and the 50mm inlet manifold, but apart from that is there anything else?

AFAIK the very early G and H came with 40mm inlet (with a stamped circle thing?!?!?! and little stripes on the 4 branches)

later early

golfs 50mm

no cat cat until 2.0 ltr 16v `92

There is one other difference between the Goof KR and the rado one, the flywheel on the rado is 228mm the goof is 212mm

There is one other difference between the Goof KR and the rado one, the flywheel on the rado is 228mm the goof is 212mm

Won't make any difference to hp though, the golf exhaust system might, the back sections are not the same parts as the C.

David.

cheers. swapping my blown-up rado KR engine for one from a Golf so wanted to know what differences there would be. Bit concerned about this flywheel situation though, as obviously now i'm going to have a lighter flywheel so i'm guessing i'm gonna lose a bit of power up hills and stuff??

thats a gran-turismo misconception, having been in a vr with a vastly lightened flywheel i can assure you you wont notice the difference.

cheers. swapping my blown-up rado KR engine for one from a Golf so wanted to know what differences there would be. Bit concerned about this flywheel situation though, as obviously now i'm going to have a lighter flywheel so i'm guessing i'm gonna lose a bit of power up hills and stuff??

You can't use the golf flywheel, you'll need the flywheel that matches the 02A cable change box in the C, the golf one is for the old rod change boxes.

David.

DW is right, you will need to take your old flywheel, clutch and clutch cover off of your knackered 'rado engine and fit to the 'new' golf engine. Luckily it is just a straight swap although you will need 6 x new bolts for the flywheel to crankshaft as they are a one shot item.