Sign in to follow this  
steveo29

opened my jabba charger...lots of pics and questions

okay..heres my g60 , note the shabby passat in background :lol:

SV400066.jpg

lots of jabba goodness in here 8) note the strips are short in places...is that right :roll:

DSCF0094.jpg

how do i change this center bearing?? look tricky :oops:

DSCF0095.jpg

DSCF0096.jpg

DSCF0097.jpg

just random pics here...anything look bad?? i dont think the porting was up to much :mad:

DSCF0098.jpg

DSCF0099.jpg

DSCF0100.jpg

DSCF0101.jpg

DSCF0102.jpg

any thing i can do with this?? should i grease it or what?

also i note some of the seals..the black ones are vag, i wonder if theyre original?? and does anyone know if seals are color coded for grades?? the new ones are brown..old are blue??

my apex strips werent short like that :? mine was also rebuilt at jabba 11k ago,and was oily inside like yours.

Yea those apex strips are rather short, you'd prolly do well changing the bearings on this shaft

DSCF0100.jpg

These have blown up 2 charger for me, and its relatively simple to change, with a blow torch :wink:

ive got a rebuild kit....i was told by a couple of peeps to freeze the bearings and heat the charger with a hot air gun.......but that outlet one looks tricky, how should i approach that

There's a lot more oil in that, than there was in my mates with 70K from new.

This is what it cleaned up like.

EDIT I think that heating the casing and a puller with a silde hammer would have that bearing out. You must have one Steve, as a bodyshop man. If not ring a Snap On man and get him to demo a five grand puller kit and then tell him you'll get one from Halfords.... :lol:

The Passats not that shabby. :p

only joking bout the passat :)

i dont have a slide hammer as it happens ...sure i'll think of something

i think whatever they greased it with wasnt suitable.....as im cleaning it up, its little black flakes especially in the strip grooves

get snapon off ebay and stick back on after you finish.

Mine came with a 2 grand snap on box I bought.

Gavin

You can get them for pulling bearings out of blind holes. I would grind the legs on mine to get them in there. Or maybe a little heel bar would get behind it. Even a lot of heat might get it out. I have a can of freezer spray which is really handy too.

Got to be a way of doing it. Maybe g60racer or David at KK will have a good idea. Canadians will be up in a hour or so I reckon.

Gavin

to remove the nu202 bearing heat the casing for 10 mins at gas mark 7 then tap the housing lightly and it will fall out.

g-man, sometimes even I'm not sure if you're taking the p!ss with your answers or if you're deadly serious... :lol: :notworthy:

I'm not even gonna ask how you found that one out... or what your missus thinks about your baking! :lol:

Im not joking at all.... only the french (i hope) but fresh bearings into un pre-heated casings... this is the worst possible thing you could do in my opinion as if they dont go in totally square the will make there own home and most proberly on the piss.

Oh and stevo was it not you that i poke to on the telephone today also ?

g-man, I know you're not joking mate, it just sounds totally silly to give car part rebuilding instructions which include a gas mark setting! :lol:

yeah g man it was me......only joking about jabba

its on its way mate be there thurs

something i gota ask about the "coating" theyve used...there seems to be alot of baked black bits coming out where i started to clean it...doesnt look nice little hard bits cant be good for it....u seen that before g man?? ive always ran clean synta oil at 4k changes

olly...im letting darren sort it , the bearings look harder to change than i thought, and i lost my job the other week so i cant afford to balls up a charger..at least i know whats going on in ther now, id probably do oil seals and apex strips if i needed to