Sign in to follow this  
h100vw

Electrical grelim found in engine bay

Sunday afternoon in the MK3 16V, heading North away from Watford as fast as humanly possible.

Spot of rain, no wipers :cry: Lid off the fusebox in outside lane, daren't pull into middle lane in case I can't get back out again :roll:, passed to wife, which is the fuse for wipers? Careful counting produced a duff one.

Where is the rear wiper? Fuse pulled and fitted in place of blown front one. Wipers restored but now the RH indicator comes up on the dash????? :x

Had to pull over then. Problem solved before I stopped though, as the fuse blew again. Indicators 'op checked satis' so opted to crack on without wipers.

Yesterday, I spent an hour under the bonnet. Although I wasn't too sure where the cross over was taking place. Evetually found that the wires for the wipers and indicators came out by the wiper motor. While pulling at the cables there, I got a good puff of smoke down below the flexy pipe to the TB. And the indicators went off along with the wipers, again....

After pulling the airbox out I found that the ducting for the warm air to the airbox had rubbed through the loom and was shorting out the indicators, wipers and an earth. The indicators had seemed to flicker with engine speed.

Anyway out came the insulation tape and I taped the 3 damaged wires individually and then bound the rest of the loom up nicely.

I have put everything back and paid careful attention to the routing of the warm air pipe so it doesn't get chance to do the same thing again.

This could also have been the cause of the mystery flat battery last week???

Gavin

sounds like you had some fun there gavin :(

This could also have been the cause of the mystery flat battery last week???

Gavin

aye,id imagine it could have sat with the parking lights on due to the dodgy indicater wiring? if it was sat long enough...

in fact if power was transferred to the wiper wiring then they would have been going off too :!:

edit:actually,for any power to be going through the wiring,the indicater stalk would have needed leaving on,not sure m8.

Dave had a brainwave and we're gonna check the earthing strap later. Other than that, theres a place where I can get a new regulator, and I may get it electrically checked in case there is an underlying fault somewhere.