Sign in to follow this  
Will

Running on four

Just got my VR6 back together after doing the chains, clutch and tappets. Turned the key expecting the usual 6 cylinder growl but instead it was more like a tractor.

After some investigation I've found out 3 + 4 aren't firing and I've checked the plugs and leads but they're both fine. I know it could be a number of things but was wondering if anyone one here has had similar probs or any ideas. The coilpack was working fine before so can't see why it would've suddenly failed... I know I've probably bugg**ed the CAT already but trying to run it as little as possible investigating.

Any advice much appreciated - Thanks.

Read the above through again and don't think I was that clear. Basically I'm not getting a spark on numbers 3+4 but the lead and plugs are OK.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, the coil that runs 3 & 4 might have gone. Try leads 3 & 4 on another output, like 1 & 2 for example....but don't leave them connected to the engine, get them to spark to ground somewhere to prove connectivity.

Thanks Kev got it sorted, but almost wish I hadn't! One of the wires going to the coilpack had become trapped between the timing chain cover and the coilpack and was earthing.

Problem I've got now is a terrible engine noise which I'm assuming is tappets. I changed them because of this but the noise is now much worse. Is it possible I've fitted the wrong ones as the guy in GSF wasn't 100% sure.

The VAG reference is 034 109 309AD - and the description on the receipt is W/C 1.05-2.8 > 95 Approx...

LOL...that was gonna be my next diagnosis, check the low tension side of the pack's wiring!

Yeah buckets are all the same across the 80s/90s engine, except the 20V, they're much smaller. You'd know if they were wrong. Give them time to bleed and bed in mate, takes as much as 50 miles to quieten them fully somtimes, or repeated blasts of prolonged 3000rpm action.

I'll second that Will. Recently did my chains/tappets/clutch etc, I shat myself when I heard the noise the tappets made, I was worried to run it but the noise went away after running it for 10 mins or so. It takes them a while to fill up and settle. Mine is now the quietest VR6 I've ever heard. :-)

Thanks guys - ran it for about 15mins and the noise suddenly dissapeared. Was just feeling pretty chuffed with a job well done when I noticed a trickle of oil from the bell housing cover. Turned out the crankshaft seal was leaking so of with the gearbox again. Nightmare! Didn't bother changing it as the previous owner had it done with the clutch 18months ago but seriously regretting it now!

I did oil it with normal engine oil before fitting the lower chain cover, but is there a better lubricant to use as don't want anymore problems. VW suggest AMV...etc but £40's a bit steep... Also, should I replace the flywheel bolts again, even though they've only been in five mins?

Thanks again