Sign in to follow this  
colinstubbs

6 speed

A mate at work suggested replacing my valver 'box with a 6 speed TDI(or other) unit. He reckons it's good do-able swap (though not done it himself), and he's got/had 'a few' Golfs so probably has more of an idea than me.

My 5th gear seems to prefer not being used. It goes in OK, but will then grate horribly as if something is jamming in the teeth. It isn't always immediate, so I've had a few scary moments when I've absent-mindedly selected 5th but thought I was in 4th and then thought the whole gearbox was gonna explode. :shock: It's just 5th, but I had the 'box rebuilt about 4-5 years ago when I lost 5th completely and I wonder if it's jinxed. Also a really long top would aid fuel economy, especially compared to now.

I may miss the improved exceleration of motorway speeds in 4th but the weber firebreather throttle body should help :twisted: I was gonna wait until I'd sorted the 'box to fit the weber but I couldn't resist, it's On :wink: heh heh heh.

Any comments welcome.

custom mounts, driveshafts and a few other small bits are needed... You'd need to use a 6speed VR6 gearbox as the bell housing on the TDI box is based on the 4cylinder engine style and so won't fit onto a VR6 engine...

Let's just say, it's not a simple plug and play conversion... :?

Yep, have you guys seen the size of the mounts for these boxes!!!

With the price of fuel at present, I'd fit the box and the engine personally! :lol:

sounds like a good plan.... wonder where I can get some plans on how to do a Corrado TDI? ;) :lol:

I think the problem with a 6 speed box is clearance on the chassis leg when getting it in and out. This can be tricky with a 5 speed box. The 6 speed box has a third shaft so is quite a lot bigger/taller than a 5 speed that has two shafts. This extra height makes clearing the chassis leg almost impossible so I’ve heard. I don’t know if it could be done by removing the engine, fitting the box then putting the engine and box in as one unit. But could be the way?!?!

Think it was a man at a VW breaker who told me this and I read something about it in a PVW when someone fitted a 6 speed into a mk4 and had similar problems with clearance. (into a mk4 that was originaly 5 speed)

I have done 2 of them.

custom shafts.

you need the 02m flywheel

then you have to think about ratios....ie the mk4 wheel rolling radius is a lot bigger than the corrado so it shortens teh 02m gearing considerably.

I found the 6 speed from a seat leon cupra totally unsuitable for daily driving in a 20v turbo mk2.

I found the 6 speed from a seat leon cupra totally unsuitable for daily driving in a 20v turbo mk2.

Is that because of the 18s the Cupra box is geared too?

yep tis true. you have to cut off and move back the gearbox mount on the rear sub frame, then make a custom bracket to fit the gearbox to it.

That part is not that hard, the fun bit is measuring up the driveshafts when everything is moving around. Proper guesstimation at work. I have done 2 gearboxes and had 3 set of shafts made.

oh hang on - just read about the chassis leg bit.

no that is just lies.

the chassis leg sits about an inch away. no problems there.