Sign in to follow this  
dutch

New VR Owner!

Hello All,

Some of you may remember my post from last week regarding the VR q's. Well it came down to the 944 S2 or the VR Corrado. After testing driving both I decided to go with the VR. Both had there pros and cons but the VR seemed to be more suited to my needs. Couple of questions though....

1. VR has a rough idle and seems to have a slight misfire as the RPM climb. I was thinking a good service would do the trick. Plugs, leads, cap and rotor. Anyone have any expereince with a rough idle?

Can someone tell the best place to get these things? GSF? Euro? or Stealership? I'm a little confused as to what plug to use? What is the part number for factory original?

Thanks

D

Yeah..the VR just seemed to more of a drivers car....don't get me wrong..the Porsche was very nice but it lacked that....well it just lacked something!!

Idle....welcome to VR ownership! They do have a 'characteristic' off beat idle. I think it's more the speed than anything, you can get it raised (set on the chip) to about 750-800 which smooths it right off.

Change all the plugs and leads etc and see if it helps, also get it scanned using VAG-COM for any potential sensor outages, also common. A number of us have VAG-COM, so check out the VAG scanning and help thread.

Parts, dealers mate. Plugs are now NGK platinum only from the dealer, but you can get the older non-plat plugs BKR5EKU (£3.27) from http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk

If you want platinums, they're more than double the cost and part number BKR5EKUP. They're still cheaper than the dealer price though.

The leads you want are £120 a set! But they last forever.....original red berus. Cheap cr@p will just cause you problems in the wet.

Iridiums are nice, BKR5EIX, but they're about £8 each....good for 50K tho.

I'd have chosed the VR over the Porsche too. The 944 hasn't aged well!

If they're made by BBT, then avoid like the plague!

I had a set of those once and they fell apart putting them on the plugs, and I used the correct tool!

well that's a load of crap!! called vw and they don't/will not sell this "special tool" I have to fax my request into vw direct and they'll get back to me... :p

The part number is T10029, try a few different VW dealers, they all seem to have different policies regarding the sale of special tools.

i think i may just get a garage to do this for me....i don't really feel like spending £30 on a tool i'll use every few years...and knowing me i'll lose after about a week!

The part is about £8 for the plastic one - definitely a good buy

Don't pull them out by the leads unless you are going to change them all anyway

As Kev says

change your HT leads (red Beru ones only) and plugs.

If you still have the problem it could be the coil pack.

Most likely to be an HT lead

check a ht lead removal tool isnt in the back of the car with the spare wheel. cylindrical piece of black plastic Im sure you already have but just in case.

Yes, literally red in colour. Some Golfs had black leads (also made by beru) but I read somewhere that all coilpack Corrado VR6s came with red ones, my mate's 100% original 33K storm has red uns, so I think I believe it.

Damnit, now I'm pissed off, will get them on the next service then methinks! But will check the leads just to see what they are.

Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, literally red in colour. Some Golfs had black leads (also made by beru) but I read somewhere that all coilpack Corrado VR6s came with red ones, my mate's 100% original 33K storm has red uns, so I think I believe it.

think it was more luck of the draw as opposed to a Storm feature......mine had black leads from when i bought the car at 38k miles til i replaced them 18 months ago.....tho they could have been replaced prior to that :?

Yeah..the VR just seemed to more of a drivers car....don't get me wrong..the Porsche was very nice but it lacked that....well it just lacked something!!

Driving a corrado tends to have this effect on you :)