Sign in to follow this  
matthewb1985

16 valve problems

ok my 2.0 16v is running terribly. had a new lambda probe fitted last week which has done nothing about the problem. my timing is out, its pinking and the guy at my vw centre said they adjust automatically so it will adjust its self any help welcomed?

they do adjust auto, but only with in a range.....if the timing is way out to start with then its never gonna manage to sort it out 100%.. check all static timing marks etc... Maybe the knock sensor is dead???

Assuming the valve timing is correct and this is just an ignition timing fault, it must be set to 6deg BTDC. You will need a timing light to do this.

The knock sensors (there are 2 on yours) detect knock/pinking and retard the ignition timing to stop it.

there is def 2 knock sensors on the 9a, both on the front of the block. one between cyls 1 and 2 & one betewwn cyls 3and 4

ok my 2.0 16v is running terribly. had a new lambda probe fitted last week which has done nothing about the problem. my timing is out, its pinking and the guy at my vw centre said they adjust automatically so it will adjust its self any help welcomed?

The knock sesnors could be done too tight. 15lbs ft is the correct torque. If they are too tight then they will be over sensitive.

You really need to check the timing both the physical timing of the crank and camshafts and also the ign timing.

The crank could be out if the pulley bolt is bad. The crank pulley can spin slightly and the ign timing and physical timing will be out. A mate of mine had this happen. The car went great on really small throttle openings but pinked its gead off if you tried to floor it. We found the crank pulley had spun.

The quick way is with a long screwdriver dropped into number 1 plug hole and check that the notch on the crank pulley, lines up with the arrow on the cover. Rock the car in gear and make sure teh screwdriver goes up and down as the engine goes over Top Dead Centre.

Gavin

well took it to my local vw centre yesterday. he said the throttle switch wasnt working so he set it up along with several other things and didnt charge a penny. its running as it should now for the first time