Sign in to follow this  
markmcie

Boost pipes keep popping

Hi all,

I have an ongoing problem since fitting my intercooler and custom boost pipes. The pipes pop off sometimes (normally after hard driving - espically on my last track day). I have tried doubling up on the jublie clips and it seemed to work well but again last night after a good run one of the pipes came away from the samco. It gets really annoying.

Has anyone any good tips on securing thier hoses ? Anyone know were to source some havy duty clips ?

Thanks

Mark

Is there a lip at the end of your custom pipes to give the Jubilee clip something to hold against? You could do a bit of a bodge job using a polymer based adhesive / sealant such as teroson 9220 to seal and bond the hoses, problem is you would probably not be able to get them apart again!

Good point Geroid. There is no lip at either end of the boost pipes so thats a good explination as to why they are popping off. But I bought the intercooler off GaryC and he told me he never had any problems.

Ill have to try and get something welded onto each end over the weekend.

I think a session on the RR will be due soon too. Charger has just being rebuilt and ported and the car is really flying.

Well I have being using both. A screw driver to take up the slack then a spanner to tighten them up. I have managed to snap a couple of clips and round a few nuts in the process.

I was just wondering if there are any clips available, specifically for boost pipes.

But Ill definitely get some lips welded onto the ends of the pipes so the clips at least have something to grip instead of just popping off.

Mark get yourself some of the heavy duty jubilee type clips from somewhere like Demon Tweeks. I think they are called Mikalor clamps (the brand anyway). The are about the same width as 2 jubilee clips and have a large bolt going through them to clamp. They are a few quid each but you will only need a few and it should sort you out.

BTW A lip on the end of the pipe is the ideal solution but with these all you have to do is pick up the phone and then wait a few days, tighten up and away you go.

Mine are fairly heavy duty jobs I guess, got 2 on a bit of 76mm stainless pipe with no lip and it doesnt seem to come off @15psi

Cheers guys.

@ Leon, Im looking to get a new pipe made up from the intercooler linking up to the TB. Any suggestions were I can get this done. Its not a complicated piece, it just needs a fitting for the CO pot to sit in.

I had the same problem on my 20VT. I just welded a small bead using some stainless wire around my charge pipes and have never had it happen again.

Cheers guys.

@ Leon, Im looking to get a new pipe made up from the intercooler linking up to the TB. Any suggestions were I can get this done. Its not a complicated piece, it just needs a fitting for the CO pot to sit in.

Mark, Dave got my stainless pipework made up for me and has something like what you are after on his mk1 G60 with a cut out for the C0 pot. He might be able to send you in the right direction.

Cheers guys.

Mark, Dave got my stainless pipework made up for me and has something like what you are after on his mk1 G60 with a cut out for the C0 pot. He might be able to send you in the right direction.

Didn't Gary get one made up in stainless for his G60? As far as I know Conrad can get that sort of stuff up north too.

Mark get a bead rolled onto the end of the pipe, it gives it something for the clip to pull against.

the samco link pieces(metal links for the silicone boost hoses) have a rolled edge to help prevent this blow off happening, otherwise get a newpiece made up just slightly longer, or better angled

i had this problem with my boost tubes, it was mainly due to not having an edge to grip onto but partly due to the ptfe grease coming out of the newly built charger and getting in the joint. Giving them a good clean sorted it for a while but i ended up taking them off and using a small hammer over the edge of a vice, and rolled the edge out bit by bit until i had a slight trumpet.

Thanks for the replies guys. Ill have to get a seam welded around the ends of the pipe so. And Ill give Dave a buzz some time about the IC to TB pipe.

The pipe Gary has made up Geroid is made up of stainless and a cut out section of the original pipe with the CO fitting and its joined together with samco. It does the job but looks a bit shit and a complete stainless pipe would look a lot nicer going across the engine bay. I imagine one complete pipe is more flow efficient then a pipe with several joins and also eliminates any chances of boost leaks.

Sorry to go OT, but my god gsbellew, that sig pic is hilarious! :lol:

And er as guys have said, get a bead or some kind of lip on the pipes so that there's something for the jubilee clips to hold on to :)

Sorry to go OT, but my god gsbellew, that sig pic is hilarious! :lol:

Off topic for a second, That was the result of having a few drinks last night after spending the day in the spray booth at work with the 'rado as high as a kite from the paint fumes, sat down with the laptop and photoshop and went away into a world of my own :lol: