Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

is it sh***ed?

Whilst changing my Decat pipe over today the black wire came out of the lambda probe! there is no real way to connect it back together apart from just pushing it back into position. as far as i know this wire goes to my air fuel ratio gauge which now doesnt cycle anymore it just stays at a constant reading , ie not telling me much. i havent noticed any performance issues but am i in desperate need to get a replacement probe straight away? of the three wires running from the probe (2 white, 1 Black) what does the black one do?

Cheers

The lambda only runs in open loop mode at part throttle and closed loop (ignored) at wide open throttle, so you won't notice much with it not working, other than the mixture being rich on part throttle.

Not sure what the pin outs are for the 3 wire lambdas. The white wire on the 4 pin ones is the signal wire and black is the earth. The other two are the preheater wires. Do you know if yours is preheated, not sure if the G60 ones are? Is your A/F stuck in the middle at about 0.45V? The black one is usually an earth.....

black one is the signal wire for the lambda probe. In other words its fecked. The two white ones are the power supply to heat the probe up.

Time for a new probe, the performance wont be too bad as the ECU just uses a pre-stored value to ensure the engine still runs.

T.

P.S. The lambda probe isn't earthed on a G60 (unlike the VR). The only thing thats earth is the probe connector harness thats near the rear engine mount.

T.

kev i think you got that back to front mate - closed loop is the part throttle cruising fuel trimming process.

unless I got it wrong

Rite... 8) my thoughts where correct! Has anyone got the VW part number for the lambda probe i require?

Cheers

you could get a generic one from gsf for less money. Involves a bit of soldering but its not too difficult.

T.

I did think that when i was going to change it last time when i though it may be buggered, but the the guy there said they where poo and wouldnt reccomend putting one in my car so i took his word for it :) i cant remember how much the vw ones are ? £80??

£80.... thats sounds about right. I put a generic one from gsf onto my Dads g60 and have had no problems with it at all.

Its totally up to you. It was having running problems at the time and I couldn't pin point exactly what the problem was. Hence why I didn't want to shell out £80 for something that might not have fixed it. Turns out that the lambda probe had been incorrectly wired by a garage that replaced the lambda probe for the previous owner!!! Muppets.

T.

where abouts did you get the generic one from? GSF?, i have since been told that aslong as its all wired in correctly and waterproofed they are fine! any part numbers that i can use?

can anyone point me in the right direction to which universal lambda probe i should get for my 93 G60? the original probe has 3 wires coming from it, 2 white and a black wire? i take it i should get the GSF 3 wire probe?

yes, yes and yes to all those questions.

You need the 3 wire one

gsf: 93004 LAMBDA PROBE General Use 3 WIRE UNIVERSAL 29.75

It comes with all the right bits needed to waterproof it.

T.