Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

Bloody alternator - more help needed

Alternator Belt **** up today!!!

The pulley for the alternator doesnt quite line up to the others, and it slipped over the edge slightly and took two of the ribs off and wrapped them around the pulleys!!! I had to cut the whole thing off. Managed to get a new one (for £11 :) ) and had to cut one of the ribs off to align it without damaging it, but not sure how to move the alt across - unless I use spacers???

Also the pulley seems slightly narrower than the rest of the pulleys in that area.

The alt was replaced last week under warranty. Could they have given me the wrong alt back? Its the same as the last one, but either the pulley is inside the alt too far, or could it be the wrong pulley?

You got any ideas? Could someone do some measurements for me on a known item? ie how wide the pulley should be, and how far out from the body of the alt?

Cheers

Sounds like the wrong pulley mate - strange tho as new alts don't come with them and you have to swap them over...

The are a bit of a pain to get off tho so the dealer may have ordered a new pulley also and it's wrong - you should be able to tell if its new, is it shiny?

VR's have a 7 rib belt i think - something else to check...

A quick one. The ribbed area widths are about the same as the flat surface running area on the tension pulley wheel. The belt should sit on the alt pulley as a match - rib for rib.

Can't do the "far out" bit for you as the car isn't with me.

The belt is 7 ribs. The pulley is definitely wrong in my opinion. What should I do? The place where I got the alt is in Norwich, Im in Preston. Is it expensive to buy a new one? Anyone know a part number?

i know its not right but get a 6 rib belt of the same length - see the info i sent you before - 6pk1270 (6rib 1270mm give or take 10mm) will fix the prob until you establish the pully prob.

Just but the correct pulley, about £7 from VAG

Just spoke to VAG, apparently it cant be bought seperately. Do you have any more info mate?

Pulleys are £15.

Stan, your dealer is talking dung. I got the pulley seperately when I replaced my alternator. I'm at work so can't get a number for you, sorry.

Yep, tell them to have a proper look and they will see you can buy practically any part of an alternator seperatly, they are just being lazy - I'll find the part number later...

undo the big nut in the middle of the pulley and pull like ####!!! ;)

Pulley comes off easily, no puller required, the difficult bit is clamping the pulley still to undo the nut, but if you're replacing the pulley....f'ck it, cram it in a vice ;-)

When putting the new one on though, use an old serp belt, wrap it round the new pulley and clamp the serp in the vice so it kind of clasps the pulley, if you follow me? Otherwise the vice jaws will damage the pulley channels...

Cheers guys. Got one ordered after I got the part from ETKA (cheers Gav aka H100VW), VW are useless. Picking it up on saturday :)

Right, I got a new VR pulley from VW, but it only has room for 6 ribs - not 7!!! Can someone give me the correct part number please? Having a mare!!

Oh its the Bosch style 90A

021903119D - £19.56

I'd get a new nut and spring washer too and then you can just build up the new alt without touching the old one.

So you'll have Blackpool Illuminations back up and running by the weekend then Stan :wink: