Sign in to follow this  
IndianredG60

HELP Please...

My G60 has been off the road for over 3 years now, nothing wrong with it at all, many mods done to it etc...but I now need to get it back on the road, and i need some info on what to do etc...

I know I need to make sure Oil is ok 1st, so I will add some extra before I attempt to start the car.

I also need a new battery too...

I just am not sure on what to do 1st you see...I know it needs to go straight for a service, oil change, filters etc....

One more thing I have K&N PANEL filter on my G60, and I am not sure of how to clean or shall i just buy a new air filter? Is there a cleaning kit for it? Its been a long time since i last used my car and I am sorry if im taking the piss by asking all these Q's!

thanks in advance!

Khalid

A lot of people are now dumping their K&N filters on G60s and going back to original paper filters which are changed every 10K miles.

Before starting, remove the spark plugs and turn it over on the key for a few seconds to get oil around the whole engine without over-stressing anything. Then put the plugs back in again and try to start her up. You'll find that she'll run like crap for a while as the petrol will have lost its edge.

Make sure it gets:

Oil

Oil filter

Air filter

Fuel Filter

Plugs (Preferably Bosch W6DPO ones)

Fresh G12+ Coolant

Check the brakes (and preferably change the brake fluid) and also check the condition of the tyres as they may have become flat spotted due to being sat for so long, or the side walls may have cracked and crazed meaning that they're no-longer structurally sound and may disintergrate under load (had this happen to me on the motorway in an old Golf, and trust me, it's not fun... )

Good luck!

Thx guys, really appreicate your help!

Henny,

Thanks again bro, I think I will go back to the old air orginal air filter for the mo, cant be botherd to look and wait for the cleaning kit to come etc...

Well it seems i got some job on my hands lol...I will have a look at the spark plugs, i aint good that this kinda thing, but wil try...

And yes i do see some small cracks on the side of my front tyres I am not sure how they wil go as i also need to put some air in them they only gone down a little bit eventhough they were off the road for over 3 years, I got 17" MoMo Sport rims wid low profile tryres.

Thx guys!

You have helped me so much!

VeeDub,

thank bro, and thank you all for a warm welcome...

If any of you are ever in London, please just let me no...would love to see some of your cars!

Khalid

What I would do is drain the oil and leave it draining. Over night if possible. Just to be sure you get all the sludge out.

Probably a total bleeding of the brakes is a good idea as brake fluid absorbs moisture over time and the brakes will probably be sh@it. New pads will probably be a definite and no doubt new disks too. And while your down there give the rubber brake lines a good inspection under pressure (i.e. getting someone to press the brake hard) and check for cracks or bubbling.

Im going back to using a paper air filter myself.

Once the car is safe to drive Im sure you might notice some more things will need doing. If there is petrol in the tank standing the last 3 years it will be stale and the car will like shi@t. If there is a lot it it Id try drain it and put some fresh stuff in.

I'd give it an oil and filter change before you start it and like Henny said give it a good crank with the plugs out to get every where before starting. Then i'd change the oil and filter again after 200mile and then it will be spotless inside (better than engine flush).

maybe worth considering a cam belt and a new timing belt for the charger...thing like that can rot when stood

do some local trips and keep an eye on things incase it pops a hose or something like that

steveo29, bloody good point there... 8) Cam belt, Supercharger belt and Power Steering belts will all be showing their age and that they've been stood for so long... :| I'd be tempted to change 'em before even cranking it over... (don't forget to do the cam belt tensioner too while you're in there... ;) )

Thanks guys,

This is going to be some Job lol...Need to sort a decent mechanic first! :cry:

Here is a pic of my car if i can get to work :oops:

Does anyone know how to make my pics smaller in pixels wide and height? Im dumb i no, new to all this