Sign in to follow this  
_Monkey

Piston matters

Not sure if this should be in the wanted bit, but i'm looking to take my g60 off the road for an engine overhaul this winter, and while i'm at it, i thought it would be a good idea to turn it into a 1900, just for good measure (and about 300bhp!).

Does anyone know for any pistons that i could use/ companies that would make me some? If so how much, sizes etc?

email, je pistons and ross pistons, google them and you will get web sites

they are both well known pistons and it would be a good deal.

you will need more than pistons for 300bhp from an 8v G60 :lol:

Cheers, i'll do that.

As for 300bhp, how about pistons, lightened/balenced bottom end, gas flowed/big valve head, boost controller, bigger intercooler, an ihi turbo and about 1.5bar of pressure?

Hopefully, i've got the turbo running at 0.9 bar at the mo and i'm kicking out about 220bhp.

But the car has done 135k, so i recon an explosion is imminent inless i go for a re-build!

Not a bad plan, but there's a local guy who thinks 8v engines are useless so i kinda wanna see just how far i can shove my car down his throat!!! :mrgreen:

Don't go 16V - You'll get all the extra bhp but lose all the torque!!!!!

BHP at the expense of Torque is a waste of time as the Torque is where the power is.

That, and i was kinda scourned when pvw released their cover rallye and then said the g60 was old hat. We'll show them!!! :bad-words:

No - The engine conversion I've gone for is retaining the 8v G60 head and making it big valve as it creates better torque than a 16VG60 conversion!

potatonet, why? my 8V g60 is producing around 250bhp and idles smooth as standard (if not better... ) 8)

8V G60 will produce better low down torque than the 16V version, although with a better 8V head (flowed, ported, bigger valves) you should be able to get some serious power out of the 8V... 8) Going the 8V route also rocks in that it doesn't look any different from standard from the outside... ;)

I'd advise having a word with G-man as he does 83mm pistons which are specc'd for a 1900 G60 and also having a chat with Race Power Motorsport in Kent... They're shit-hot with the G60 engine and can build you a monster, or at least spec you up one and supply you with the parts to build your own... 8)

No - The engine conversion I've gone for is retaining the 8v G60 head and making it big valve as it creates better torque than a 16VG60 conversion!

The original G60 limited made 210bhp and 186ft/lb using the 16V head, whereas most 8V G60s I've seen seem to give very similar torque figures to the power.

right but henny you have a 2.0 L 8V g60, once you go bigger valves like he is planning the idle will be lumpier or so I have been told by people here. I have a cam and my idle is lumpier than crap

it's the cam that makes the idle lumpy, not the valve sizes... I'm going up in valve size (hopefully) in the next couple of months and that shouldn't affect the idle at all 'cos I'm keeping the standard cam... 8)