Sign in to follow this  
Walesy

Brake Pipes

well..apart from the leaking shock which is a bit upsetting seems as its 3 weeks old it didn't go too badly.

Corroded brake pipes can't be helped and it's another good thing to replace. Obviously i would rather not have to pay out £200 on a car i'm about to sell...but it's not too bad for a 13 yr old car. :D

so...

anyone know how long roughly it will take?.

I've got to place all 4 rear solid pipes, rear calipers, steering rack, one tyre and afew suspension bushes. I'm getting my mate to do the brake pipes as i'm not 100% sure of what i'm doing and i don't want to risk it. But he reckons no more than about 4 hours.

So Walesy did you do this yourself in the end? Mine need doing and i'm going to go for it this weekend!

Flexy pipes will cost you about £50 for a full set of Goodridge ones.

Parts to do the whole cars solid pipes should cost you less than £30 (maybe a little more if you use Nickle copper pipe which won't corrode again).

Dot 5.1 brake fluid will cost you about £15 to replace the lot from Halfords...

The tool to flare the ends is about £25 from Ebay.

Time wise, it's all VERY dependent on who has worked on the car in the past... H-YYU failed her MOT on the rear solid pipes being corroded, so I bought all the bits and expected the job to take less than 2 hours all in... around 10 hours of work later, and I'm still not done as EVERY brake connector has been rounded off by some muppet in the past, meaning that I've had to carefully hack-saw off every connector avoiding damaging the mounting points to be able to remove the flexies... At the end of the work I'll be ending up with all new pipes from the enginebay back, a new pressure regulator and MKIV rear calipers on the car... Oh, and I'll probably have fitted the Brembos to the front as well while it's got no brake fluid in her... :roll:

So Walesy did you do this yourself in the end? Mine need doing and i'm going to go for it this weekend!

Nope, I do very little on my cars myself Trig, I like things to be done properly :wink: :lol: - I had them done by a place in Cardiff as that's where I was living at the time, needless to say, if you don't fancy it yourself i'm sure RKE will sort it out.

I feel like having a go at somehting myself!

Got my plumber mate round as well - looks a bit like plumbing to me! :)