Sign in to follow this  
VR6novice

Why remove an exhaust heat shield?

Another question for you:?:

Sorry but the novice is trying to learn from the pro's- hope you dont mind :oops:

Why remove an exhaust heat shield, isn't it there for a reason :?:

For me it's because it was partially broken off and rattled at certain revs. And also because my drive is quite steep and the car is quite low.

I don't think it's a "heatsheild" but more a skid sheild to stop the cat internals fracturing if the cat outer metal body is hit. The sheild takes the bang/hit and there is a enough air space to protect the cat itself.

Quite a common for one or both of the rear attachment point arms to crack. Usual trick is a big jubilee clip to stop the rattle.

My 'heatshield' has been all but torn off by those one-way plate things at the entrance to the works car park. The chap at the garage managed to get new bolts back in the same clips to sort it out, so it's OK.

I'm wiht RW1, though. It is definitely acting more like a sump guard would - i.e. bump protection. If it is a heatshield, what the hell is it protecting from heat? The road? It's not exactly a Harrier jump-jet, is it? So, it's pretty much up to you if you want to remove it. If it's off, it won't get pulled about and rattle, but you run the risk of damaging your cat. Your ride height will obviously vary this risk as well. I suppose you might argue it makes the underside of the car look cleaner from the side, as you can see it a bit.

My 'heatshield' has been all but torn off by those one-way plate things at the entrance to the works car park. The chap at the garage managed to get new bolts back in the same clips to sort it out, so it's OK.

I'm wiht RW1, though. It is definitely acting more like a sump guard would - i.e. bump protection. If it is a heatshield, what the hell is it protecting from heat? The road? It's not exactly a Harrier jump-jet, is it? So, it's pretty much up to you if you want to remove it. If it's off, it won't get pulled about and rattle, but you run the risk of damaging your cat. Your ride height will obviously vary this risk as well. I suppose you might argue it makes the underside of the car look cleaner from the side, as you can see it a bit.

its also to stop the cat from setting grass on fire if you happen to park on the grass

its also to stop the cat from setting grass on fire if you happen to park on the grass

You might thinks that but I've a before and after set of photos of a Mk3 Goof cocked up on a road verge. Oh dear, one charred lump after 5 minutes with the owner asking what caused this.