Sign in to follow this  
chaz g60

changin suspension ??

I was going to change my suspension today but was told by a local mechanic that i need to clamp the springs down when undoing them so they dont decompress when i take the bolt off. The guy reckons they'll fly up and knock my head off!!?? if this is the case what can i use ??I thought they'd just drop out ??.

cheers. :roll:

the srings only spring off when you ake the top mounts off you can get them off the car ok though. you will need comperssors unless your fitting coilies to it as you can just use the spring platform. but be real careful if you take the old springs off i did it once and the top mount went at least 200ft in the air!!

you can cable tie the feck out of the springs on the shocks you take off the car but you still need to compress the new ones, clamps are £20 from halfords or around £10 on ebay :)

I've done 3 sets of VR6 springs now, standard to Konis/Eibachs/H&Rs and had no need for spring clamps. You just need to be sensible, there's a small amount of energy stored in the fronts but the backs will drop out ok.

You won't need the spring compressors if you are using coilovers as you should get new nuts and spring discs with the coilover kit.

You changing the top mounts too?

Having done this 2 weeks agao and fitted some FK Konigsports i would just get yaself down to Halfrauds or a decent outlet (not saying Halfrauds isnt ofc).

As previously mentioned they are only 20 squid so its not really a massive deal, the kit from Halfrauds fitted after a bit of fiddling on the G60 spring so all good.

yeah theres no hellfrauds in spain though and i've not seen any equivelent here, I have to get most things from vw or mail order gsf

I'll figure some type of clamp out.

cheers.