Sign in to follow this  
quicksilver

Does anyone know what this means?

I was looking through the report that VW gave me when they did a service last year and it mentions than the "Front lower Platform rear bushes are starting to split". Where are these bushes then? on the wishbones or subframe maybe, I just don't know :? ??

How big a job is it replace these bushes as VW qoute £227.40 for the job and I'm quite keen to do it myself if it saves some much needed cash.

Sounds like rear wishbone bushes to me and £227.40 is a hell of a lot as new wishbones complete with bushes are not that expensive!

My initial thoughts were that it might be rear wishbone bushes too. Is it quite an easy job to do? remember doing the same job on my old Scirocco and that was a doddle but I've been fed scare stories about the pivot bolt seizing and so requiring a new subframe = instant cashflow situation! How true is this and should I just go ahead and order new wishbones and lower ball joints and spend a saturday afternoon fitting em?

I've been fed scare stories about the pivot bolt seizing and so requiring a new subframe = instant cashflow situation!

Had this happend to me :cry: Garage tried to undo the rather rusky bolt and crack, the captive nut in the subframe broke loose. On the positive side its all nice and new under the car now.

As long as things arent too rusty you should be fine, my car had spent time living near the sea with a previous owner.

The 'rado setup at the front end is very different to the 'rocco.

You could always see how they feel by just starting to undo the old bolts to see if they crack off.

New wishbones complete with bushes will set you back about £50.00 from VAG depending on what car you have, balljoints are a good idea and make sure you get a new pair of anti-role bar bushes and the 'connecting link' that attaches the end of the ARB to the wishbone as these usually sieze and sheer when undone. Bit more expense at about £35.00 each but all in you should still find this is cheaper than the garage and you get more new bits!

i have just the front wishbones and ball joints etc and got all the parts from http://www.vwspares.co.uk my febi bilstein wishbones with the bushes pressed in were 16.99 and next day delivery. then had the hole lot fitted incl tracking for 70 quid. so all in cost me 150 .

Thanks for the advice, I think I will have a go at doing this myself then. Will I need any special tools/unusual socket sizes other than a ball joint splitter to do the job? Is it possible to get penetration fluid into the captive nut or is it inaccessable?

Is it possible to change the wishbone rear bushes without removing the wishbone from the car? If this can be done then I can avoid the chance of the bolt breaking inside the captive nut.

Is it possible to change the wishbone rear bushes without removing the wishbone from the car? If this can be done then I can avoid the chance of the bolt breaking inside the captive nut.

You wished :) No chance!

make sure you get a new pair of anti-role bar bushes and the 'connecting link' that attaches the end of the ARB to the wishbone as these usually sieze and sheer when undone.

Yep just had this happen to me. Let me tell you Rados ARE NOT FUN to drive when these are busted but I have to get to work dont I. Should be fixed tonight.

You wished No chance!

Great! just what I expected..... It looks like it's gonna be another one of those Corrado "all or nothing" jobs :(

I might as well do the top mounts and track rod ends at the same time and never worry about the front end again.

Thanks for all the advice and info.