Sign in to follow this  
JT

is this an mot failure :?: one more question

on my tie rod the rubber boot has split.. is this a mot failure and anyone know how easy this is to change.....

Dont know about an MOT failure but they are not too hard to change - just make sure you get a splitter and a big hammer!

(Tracking will need adjusting afterwards so its worth doing both sides for piece of mind)

so whats behind the rubbers...

yandards- i thought that might be the case i have had the tracking done twice within 4 weeks.... :mad:

Just a ball joint basically - but you dont want it siezing and its getting to the wrong time of year to be running a gear without all the rubbery protective bits intact.

if you follow it back from the wheel it's the first rubber gaiter you come too... it looks quite twisted etc...

Do you mean the gaitor between the rod and the steering rack or the rubber boot on the TRE?
AFAIK - a split in either will be a MOT failure.

ok so yep it is an mot failure,

can anyone tell me is it worth replacing the whole track rods or is nothing to be really gained and just replacing the t/r ends would be just as good, bearing in mind i'v ejust replaced the b/joints.....

also is it worth doing enything else while i have the boots off etc....

cheers guys.

Just do the end mate and slide the new boot on. the whole rod is a right job to do, really need the rack out but it can be done in situ. I may have to do this if it turns out not to be my cv/rod end/ball joint causing a slight movment at the wheel.

cheers buddy... this may sound obvious but how difficult is this to do... i mean it's booked in tom afternoon as i moving on thursday... but is it something i could do and then have the tracking done.... i imagine i would need a b/joint splitter tho :?:

Yeah, you could probs do it, you will need a splitter (lots of people replace the ball joint also). If you mark where the old rod end was you could likely get away with just putting the new one in the same place. well thats what i would do.