Sign in to follow this  
james_88

Tyre pressure

Hi all, just wondering what my tyre pressures should be? I have toyo proxys, the tyre specs are 205/40 R17 84W.

I've tried looking on the website but no luck, apparently i need to go to a toyo dealer just to get some tyre pressures!

VR6.....

from "cold"

front 36psi

rear 32

(half laden car)

space saver wheel 60

these are recommended although i would go a little higher in the rear tbh

james_88, There should be a sticker inside your drivers door frame. I run 205/40WR17's at 42psi (front) & 36psi (rear).

Run 36psi in the front & you'll smash your rims on modern roads. The tyre sidewalls are just not deep enough & I have a set of knackered wheels to prove this.

I was running the recommened 36 front 32 rear, but have just reduced it to 32 front and I think it was 28 at the rear. Have to say it drives a hell of a lot better with the lower pressures. Trouble is even at 36psi at the front the outsides of the tyres were wearing quicker than the inside which suggests its under inflated.

Correct G60 tyre pressures are :-

half load

38psi (front)

33psi (rear

full load

41psi (front)

36psi (rear)

These pressures are well documented in the instruction manual & also on the sticker inside the drivers door frame.

The G60 has the highest recommended tyre pressures of the whole Corrado range. :shock:

I assume this is due to the weight distribution on this particular model.

what about vr tyre pressures?
A few psi lower - not sure exactly how much though.

There should be a sticker in your driver's door frame - visible as you open the door.

Bit of preference and common sense here lads. As stevemac says; dont want em too low or you'll damage the rim. A soft tyre can also lead to too much movement and cause sliding or even over-heating on a thrash - not likely.

I ran my Toyo Proxes 17" 40% at 33front 30back or a touch lower. Bit of preference for feel. I now only run 38front because ive gone to a 15" 50% which obviously has a bigger tyre wall & movement.

I ignore VW's 36 psi front recommendation. Every time I've used that pressure the middles wear down prematurely, 15s, 16s and 17s and the geometry is perfect. It's what they put in the factory fitted 15" tyres, but isn't necessarily what you MUST use on aftermarket tyres.

It's a judgement call really. Some rubber compounds are stiffer than others so it's down to how it feels on the road really. My 17" F1s feel best set to 32 front and 30 rear and the fronts are wearing evenly. No complaints about the grip or ride comfort 8).