Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

Central locking Question

Whilst my locking works fine and dandy from the alarm fob, and if I put the key in and turn it, it doesnt work if I push the locking pin down from inside. Should it lock all the doors? Could it be a burst air pipe or something? :roll:

When you lock with the alarm, it sends 12volts up the lock line to the pump which then sucks down the locks.

WHen you unlock with the alarm, it sends 12v up the unlock line to the pump and this blows the system up to unlock the car.

If you have a leak in the system anywhere, the pump would run continuously trying to lock or unlock the doors. You would soon know this was the case because the CL would fail when the pump burnt out.

I agree that pushing the button down inside the car should lock the doors. My best guess for this not being the case is disconnected door handles. I can't remember if there is a switch in the actuator or of the only switches are in the handles.

Either way I would have a look to see if the handles are connected first, by removing each in turn.

Gavin

mine wont lock from inside either. I wanted the central locking linked to the alarm to lock when I started the car, but the shop said that the feed to the central locking would have to be cut into as their is no live to the pump when the ignition is on.

I haven't fitted one ever but I don't see why it shouldn't be possible.

This is what I use for reference. Just need a positive output from the alarm.

There is a small lever inside the door which connects the button to the lock mechanism, it could be broken, its a bit puny. Ijust replaced one of mine as the driver's door button wasn't working correctly. Just a thought, does the button still go up and down when you operate the cl via the keyfob?

Gav, if I remember correctly, the pump should operate without any actuator cos its vacuum operated, isnt that correct?

Andy, yep it does mate.

The pump sucks and blows the actuators but it's operation is controlled by the switches, these are integral with the actuators I think.

The alarm hooks into the control lines to the pump/CL controller thingy. The system needs to be sealed or the pump just runs forever, there are some pressure switches in there that sense the loss of the vacuum and keep topping it up.

Check out the pictures in the Bentley.

Gavin

Ok. I'll have a gander at the handle tomorrow anyway, pening on the rain of course.

Not sure if I'll make it down to you either, Im sure Dave has a set of books from Jul/Aug that I gave him anyway???

Aye, he said he had. I am calling at Dave's about 1.30 tomorrow. I have to drop the Passat back.

Are you in tomorrow, I might call in on you...

Gavin

just a question on this subject

my vr's driver door sometimes decided's not to unlock the post goes up a tiny bit and then goes back to lock and i end up having to use some force moving it up and down to unlock it

then it works fine for a month or two then goes again ps this is using my alarm button it never fails to lock the door

do you think i need a new locking pump ???

i have had the door card off and i cant see any obvious problems with it

any thoughts ??

I had the same problem on my vr and found an easy solution. Unscrew the pin to the top of the door slightly as it stuck on the door frame. I actually cut a few mm's off the bottom of the pin and it now works on the inside and doesn't deadlock when I try to unlock the door.