Sign in to follow this  
martyjmcfly

How good is a Golf Rally?

Just wondering as seen a few for sale etc.

Always liked the look of them.

If i swapped or sold my Corrado (VR6) and got one would i miss the C. Is the C a far superior car?

Are they riddled with pain in the but problems, hard to get parts etc. For example prone to rust, windscreen fitters likely to do a shoddy job unless experienced?

In my view they are such an unknown quanitiy - 0-60 times standard or fettled

Perhaps there could be a car guide started for each model to help guide us folk who wonder when they get board with there current rides...

A Rallye is not cheap to run and in all honesty would not make the best daily driver ...But once a few tweaks have been carried out they will never fail to put a smile on your face... "im really missing mine at the moment and cant wait to get it out again soon!"

i like these myself but got put off by a guy who lives near me that had a golf rallye and a corrado g60. he got rid of the rallye a few years ago and i still see him in the corrado. the rallye looked mint aswell, totally standard.

Going back a few years (late nineties) I had both (corrado 16v, G60 and a Rallye) I went to Belgium to buy the Rallye and imported it. The Rallye was fun but as a daily driver I couldn't get used to the steering wheel on the "wrong" side.

I'm now looking to buy another G60 as a second car (toy) Would go for a VR6 as its the only one I haven't had before but the Road tax here in Ireland would cost about €1200 a year for a 2.9ltr (as against €480 for a 1.8ltr)

Dusty

one thing... i been in a rallye once and cant wait to go in it again... their amazing in their own way for some reason their not comparable to a corrado,, its jus more of a hardcore ride... its like having a nice suited wife at home (corrado) but then u go out in a rallye and u know its wrong and its dirty but it feels sooooo good... They handle pretty good too :lol:

What is it that makes them expensive to run g-man? Do bits on them just break and need constant attention to keep them running as they should?

If that's the case then i think i'll give the ralley a miss as a Corrado is bad enough!

Come on guys, the Corrado is a great car but when things need repairing every so often you loose a little bit of love for it each time.

The Rallye has quite a few unique parts on it, thus, they cost quite a lot to replace.

Otherwise AFAIK, they're not any less reliable than a Corrado... ;)

What about the windscreen?

Is it a standard MKII golf screen and are these windscreen fitter friendly i.e takes a real spanner to fit incorrectly?

Also what parts are expensive - the VR6 has the famous chain and tensioner renewal. Surely the rallYE doesn't have a price engine job. It must be the drive train?

Rallye screen is bonded in like the Corrado's.

The biggest expense on the Rallye is the body stuff. Panels, headlights etc are all expensive if bought from the dealer.

So then - is a VR6 Corrado (standard) a better car than the Rallye if the Ralley was slighlty tuned to give same aceleration and top wack? What i'm trying to say is if i swap would i think i'd made a back step/mistake?

Id go for a rallye anyday though. Its 4wd you can do a corner at 80....they're crazy ass cars, but cant get used to lhd

Do what to a corner at 80? You can go round them in corrados at 150...just not very tight ones!

the screens arent a problem, i have a 2wd g60 that has the bonded one, my windscreen fitter says they stock aftermarket ones and vw can get proper vag ones

as for fitting it..theyre the same as any other bonded screen, and if your not fussed the rubbered in screen can be fitted if you buy a rubber from a regular golf

Do what to a corner at 80? You can go round them in corrados at 150...just not very tight ones!

lol id love to see that!!!

rallye all the way, if u can get used to lhd.....it will thrash all corrados on the road, and imo is by far the elite of classic vws.

rallye all the way, if u can get used to lhd.....it will thrash all corrados on the road,

Yeah, right... so a standard 160bhp rallye will thrash a well modded corrado? Dream on... People need to be careful with making a statement like that as it's simply not true... :roll:

Rallyes ARE very good, but don't forget that they're still got a G60 engine in there (unless it's been swapped out, in which case you're comparing a modded cars so all rules/written figures go straight out the window!) which isn't actually that hot in standard form, especially with the extra weight/drag of the 4wd system...

In a straight line sprint, there's practically nothing in it between standard Corrado G60s and Rallyes, however a Corrado VR6 will easily beat a Rallye in a straight line sprint and on top end speed... it's only when a Rallye gets onto the twisty bits that it's syncro system comes into its own and it gets starts to hold its own against the Corrado, but even then, there's not a lot in it handling wise either especially in the dry on tarmac...

I've taken several messed with Rallyes apart with my G60 (J-DUB) and made their owners rather unhappy that a G60 corrado has demolished them both on straights and on cornering... get a good suspension setup on a Corrado with an LSD and the difference between the 2 cars in everyday driving practically dissapears... you'll only then find the difference in the wet or snow/ice...

and imo is by far the elite of classic vws.

With you there though, they are somewhat special... 8)

Elite of classic VWs? I'd say that accolade probably belongs to the Limited....fewer of them, more power, more kudos, more in demand?

I thought there was a discussion about the limiteds a good while back in which you were slagging them off kev ;)

I know it's biased but they are no way more elite than Corrados. They are just a Golf still with a fancy necklace on.....

(Waits to be verbally beaten)

I thought there was a discussion about the limiteds a good while back in which you were slagging them off kev ;)

Probably :lol: I wouldn't own either through choice, but if forced to choose one, it would be the Limited :lol:

My cynical side reads the Rally as VW punting a failed Rally car onto the public to recoup their losses, but the performance didn't live up to it's on-paper credentials.

The Ltd on the other hand was an offering with no profiteering in mind by the dedicated VW motorsport engineers to real enthusiasts with an eye for performance and subtlety.

I know it's biased but they are no way more elite than Corrados. They are just a Golf still with a fancy necklace on.....

(Waits to be verbally beaten)

Some might argue that the Corrado is nothing more than a Passat coupe, or a MK2 in drag.....but I agree with you :lol: The Corrado is definitely more than the sum of it's parts, else we'd all throw the towel in and buy a Daewoo.

The Rallye wasn't a failed rally car... it was simply a little late, so when it finally was ready to race, they changed the rules due to several fatalities and basically outlawed it... :(

To be fair to them, the Rallye really IS more than just a golf with a body kit... the floor pan, rear suspension, rear quarter panels, front end panels, engine and running gear were all unique (or at least designed for/because of) the Rallye... it doesn't really share a lot with a common-or-garden MKII Golf (except for syncros and G60s... ;) )

Personally, I wouldn't have one myself (hence why I have a Corrado :lol: ) but the rarity, exclusiveness and reason for their existance make them somewhat special... elite's probably a little strong, but well up in the top 5 classic VWs... 8)

Blimey Kev.. your opinions do change. I remeber trying to argue the exact point you're making on the G60 Limited with you, but you wouldn't have any of it! :) Well at least I think it was you.. can't find any evidence of it in the search though. Apologies if not! :)

I do love them for exactly the reasons you say.. absolutely subtle, yet tremendously powerful and well specced.. a lovely piece of history for those who know VW's and just another old Golf for those that don't.