Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Who takes their Corrado out on track? (or strip)

I've done Santa Pod twice. It's a real laugh and doesn't put massive strain on the car like a track day would. I do keep my fingers crossed for the first to second syncro though!

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this heavy...but IMO the C is NOT a track car....at least by todays standards. Back in the day the C was something but I think it really falls short nowadays. I've had the pleasure of running a Acura ITR through the pylons recently and I can say it is truly a great track car...maybe not a 1/4 racer but amazing through the course. I know it would leave the C in the dust...stock vs stock....don't get me wrong, I love the C but i know where it belongs and it's not on a track....

dutch, mine's not exactly stock... ;)

I know what you're saying though... suspension and chassis technologies have progressed massively in the last few years, so the 20 year old design of the Corrado chassis is starting to show it's age unless you spend some decent money on it...

They still handle VERY well compared with most cars though and it's still one hell of a blast blatting around a track in a Corrado regardless of its age... 8)

The big trick of the Corrado has always been the steering feel.

The handling is tidy and well balanced and reasonably grippy, but it's nowhere near as good at absorbing bumps as modern *harder* suspensions are, and it's not particularly composed on fast flowing undulations, which modern suspensions are *much* more adept at.

It can be fixed with a well chosen set of suspension (at least the handling can), but the long lasting appeal comes from that steering, and a modern car can't retro-fit steering feel like the C can retro-fit a handling package.

Henny...don't get me wrong....i'm sure there are plany of C's out there such as yours that can hold it's ground against many newer cars...i'm just doing a stock vs stock comparison.....

dutch, I know mate, don't fret, I didn't take it the wrong way...

I was basically getting at the same point that Dr_mat managed to make in a much better way :oops:

The Corrado has a fantastic "feel" for the driver... update the suspension and you're back on a par with most modern day cars of a similar class... I know that's no longer stock Vs stock, but 14 year old suspension Vs brand new ain't exactly fair either... ;)

Take the cost of a new car (or even just a chunk of that) and throw it into buying and modernising a Corrado and you've got something a little special 8)(hence why I drive what I drive! ;) :lol: )

henny...i do agree with u...the Corrado is one of the best "drivers" cars i've owned. a car doesn't have to be the fastest thing in the world to be a pleasure to drive. I've only owned one other VW before the C...but the C ranks up there beside some other cars i've owned....the first thing i did when i bought my c a couple of months ago is change all the suspension components....bushings, koni kit..etc....and i must say the Corrado is amazing through the twisties!

best standard track car i have driven is a honda integra type r,,

its got a diff from the factory awesome suspension and a nice bit of power, brakes are not what they should be but we have fitted ap racing brakes to it and it solved that!!

also got a jackson racing supercharger on it now but thats another story,, this is the corrado forum afterall!! :D

bought an integra SI and put the spare type r box we had kicking about in it for trackdays,, keep a look out for it next year,,

mind you for an older car the corrado is awesome,,, out dragged a MK5 Gti with mine at the ring which was a pretty impressive acheivement for the old girl!!

out dragged a MK5 Gti with mine at the ring which was a pretty impressive acheivement for the old girl!!

:thumb right: got any vids mate? or more pics?

@PhatVR6 What mounting brackets did you use for the brembo's? The ibiza ones or did you get some made up?

I bought the undrilled cast steel ones from MBT Engineering in germany. you machine and drill.tap them yourself to suit whatever discs/calipers you're using. handy really, as the MOV-IT 'rotor hats' I have are for an audi TT! not quite the right offset for the corrado, but they pull the calipers back away from the wheels an extra 5mm which is handy. (993 Carrera 4 Turbo discs.)