Sign in to follow this  
VR6 Russ

VAG-COM Fault code

Hi all,

Yesterday I ran a VAG-COM diagnostics on my VR and It found one fault.

00537 - Lambda (Oxygen Sensor) Regulation

11-00 - Control Limit Not Reached

As I have limited knowledge on what this means is anyone able to help.

Is it something that I should ignore or is it quite important.

I also ran basic settings and let the car idle to sort the stalling out to no avail. I think I am going to have to clean out the ISV??

Cheers

Did you check the O2 activity in the Measuring blocks?

That error doesn't necessarily mean the Lambda probe is dead, it means the fuel trimming ran out of options because the engine is running too lean or rich, beyond the probe's ability to adjust accordingly. Make sure the O2 measuring block (think it's 3 or 4 from memory) is moving.... if it's sat still (hot engine) at 0.454V....the probe is dead/not plugged in.

It's debatable whether basic settings actually does anything. I personally don't think it does with OBD1 as I've never noticed any difference at all.

I ran the test on Group 001 and the only blocks I remember seeing were

The Idle speed - 680 RPM

The coolant temp - 85 C

And the third block I think was around 0.79 and dont recall it changing, not sure if that was the o2 activity??

Also the engine was idling right through the test.

It's labelled on the displays in VAGCOM..

Clear the error, see if it comes back. It may have been a temporary glitch.

I did clear it initially and It did'nt return straight away.

Then i run up the software again and the fault came back.

Should the fault come back straight away?

Does anyone know if there is a fault with the car judging by the o2 activity and the fault code? Or am I being paranoid?

Thanks for the help so far.

No, it'll take an unspecified amount of time for the fault to come back. The ECU will spend some time trying to adapt before it decides that it can't adapt.

Generally they run a bit rich if there's a lambda problem, so you tend to find sucky mpg and rough running.

But it could also be a MAF problem, cos the fuelling is based on the MAF output, but the lambda only reads the result of this fuel/air mix. If the MAF spits out rubbish, the ECU fuells randomly and the lambda reports bad data - therefore the ECU says the lambda is telling it porkies and shuts it down.

MAF is easier to swap but not cheap..

But you're reporting "control limit not reached" .. maybe it's actually the lambda?

On average i'm getting about 27-29MPG in normal driving and managed 35 on a long journey don to Bournemouth which I dont think is too bad. It does generally run quite lumpy but I heard that all VR6's are like that.

Will I be losing any power or doing any damage whilst driving it?

Depends.. if it's running lean it might start pinking, but if you've not noticed anything, and it's doing ok mpg (that sounds fine to me!), then I doubt it's hurting.

You will probably be down on power though, cos the ECU will be in failsafe program.

"I ran the test on Group 001 and the only blocks I remember seeing were

The Idle speed - 680 RPM

OK

The coolant temp - 85 C

Acceptable (minmum) to do but better to be above this in future.

And the third block I think was around 0.79 and dont recall it changing, not sure if that was the o2 activity??

Yes O2. 0.79 is low. Lambda should be 0.95 to 1.05 range.

Also the engine was idling right through the test. 680rpm above confirms it. But did you blip the throttle to 3,000 rpm for 2 seconds at the start and then idle for 2 mins. Next time as you have a faulty with the Lambda probe.

Fourth field is ignition timing. Somewhere in the region of -3.0 to -5.0 at idle and varies on a "good" engine. Don't be bother by this now as the lambda is the most likely source of the 00537 & lumpy running.

-----------

Recheck in 08 Measuring Blocks group 001 field 3, the O2 should be oscillating about every 0.5 seconds or 1 seconds in the range 0.95 to 1.05. ie. 0.99...1.01...0.98...0.97....1.02...0.99....0.97

If the reading is still stuck at 0.79 and not moving, the probe is u/s or a wire is broken as the most likely causes. Check for damaged wire at the probe, on the cat right hand side upper quadrant. Follow the wires forward to the connector just as they emerge in the engine bay on the offside rear engine mount. Check connector connected and check wires are OK. Nothing wrong? New probe.