Sign in to follow this  
blackcat

Coolant issues!!

There is actually a small leak somewhere in the cooling system (haven't pinpointed it yet) but that's not the problem. I make sure that the water is topped up all the time.

However, for some reason the coolant light has started to flash even when there's enough water in there. It's really annoying because I keep pulling over to top the water up and its fine but the light keeps on flashing!!

Why is it doing this? Am I right in thinking that all the light indicates is coolant level? So why is it flashing when the level is fine??

(btw, this is in the golf)

Might be the sender in the expansion tank, which is basically a couple of prongs sat in the water and the coolant forms an electrical contact between the two. In my MK2 Golf days, they were prone for scaling up badly, severing the connection and therefore the dash tells you there is no water.

You can try cleaning them up a bit first, but if no luck you have to buy a new tank to get the new sender IIRC! Might also be worth checking the wiring for any breaks etc.

Hmmm, probably the sender playing up then. There is some gooey stuff in the coolant which might be sticking to the sender prong things and stopping the connection.

Don't know what the gooey stuff is, thought it was oil but there is big clumps of it. Would oil form big clumps?

I've only put G12+ in there, but I've only had the car about 6 months.

GSF don't have expansion tanks listed for the golf but they do for a 'rado, are they the same, do you think?

GSF don't have expansion tanks listed for the golf but they do for a 'rado, are they the same, do you think?

Why is everything arse about face?...I bet if you needed a part for the raddo they's only do it for golfs :roll:

...sorry not to be of any help..

I've only put G12+ in there, but I've only had the car about 6 months.

It may be that the previous owner mixed them up.

I think you should completely flush out your cooling system and then refill with G12+

Sorry, I can't help with the tank question.

Best wishes

RB

I think you should completely flush out your cooling system and then refill with G12+

I'll be doing this at some point when I've found out where the leak is coming from (think it might be radiator :( )

GSF list an expansion tank for all 4 cylinder 'rados.

Bizarrely GSF list a tank cap for the golf just not the tank itself. However, the part number for the tank cap for the corrado is the same part number as the tank cap for the golf........leading me to think that maybe the tank might be the same?

blackcat, buy it from VAG, the GSF/ECP ones are known for leaking...

Agree with flushing completly, the previous owner may have used tap water to fill up before and this may have scaled up the sender...

Try and find the small leak first, check for any white/pink stains in the engine bay, and look at where the water pump housing and impeller meet... if you can't find anything at all then it may be the matrix leaking into the tray below...