Sign in to follow this  
wcrado

Lightened flywheel 1.8 16v

I'd quite like to lighten the flywheel on my 1.8 16v, but i don't know where to start looking. i've found a website which sells lightened ones for the Mk2 16v, a 210mm flywheel, but if i remember from my recent engine swap the flywheels are smaller and have different fittings to the Corrado ones.

Does anyone lighten them on here?

Does anyone have one for sale?

Where do i look to get this done?

i've also been trying to track down a lightweight crank pulley, as i saw one on ebay a while back for a mk3 8v, but as yet i can't find a company that sells them, but i'm guessing lightening the flywheel will be enough to improve the driveability without too many downsides, i don't want to go too far.

Mine is from race power motorsport in Kent. It was about £80 exchange. They machine the originals down.

No downsides as yet, but if your going to remove the gearbox just for this, I wouldn't bother, the biggest difference is in 1st gear, which you don't use for long.

Ironically it is easy to get a selection of lightened/alloy flywheels from the states where there are fewer 'rados running around.

There is not a lot of point doing this unless it is part of a package of engine modifications or you are going to get everything balanced.

We also have some lightened and balanced flywheels in stock for £105 exchange they are 42% lighter than stock and then dynamiclly balanced.

yeah i'm interested. will send p.m. still fancy having this done though, i drive my girlfriends gti-6 quite a bit, and that thing just feels so much lighter and nippier than my 'rado, but when i checked the weights of the cars, hers weighs in at about 150kg more! i know she has better gearing, but unless i wind the 'rado engine up to about 4.5k RPM, the thing does not move, i'm guessing the lightened flywheel will help this. i hope it will anyway. i'm also borrowing a horrible, plastic, son-of-satan citroen saxo VTR at the moment, and although i'd rather get kicked in the nuts than drive that thing anymore, the way it darts around in low gears is impressive. on an open stretch of uphill dual carriage way near me, a sort of overtaking 'drag-strip' i can top out at about 84mph in the saxo, but about 91-92mph in the corrado, so mine is quicker once it gets going, but it just 'feels' so heavy and sluggish until it does.

do you reckon lightening the flywheel will help this?

From my experience.

1st gear - Noticably more lively.

2nd gear - A liittle more livlely, but not alot.

3rd gear - If there is a difference its very small.

4th & 5th gear - No noticable difference from standard.

I do like it better with the lightened flywheel, but don't expect a big difference.