Sign in to follow this  
catch_twotwo

Petrol Guage

Well niggling little fault 316 for today is the fuel tank...

Having popped to the local garage to fill the tank (ready for a long run tomorrow) the car was full, no way of getting anything more in the tank.... when I started up the petrol guage moved (slowly) up to about 3/4 and stopped....

So the question is, does my guage read wrong, or do I have a tank problem ?

Only on problem 316? You're doing well then.....!

The tank itself should be fine, although there is some kind pressure relief box thingy up in the arch, which might need attention...... which leaves the float sender and guage to look at. The guages on occasion need replacing and cost about £25 from the dealer (you can replace just that bit) and the float sender is a float that moves up and down on a series of carbon tracks, which can sometimes wear down. The float position is also adjustable to calibrate it.

I've heard of (on rare occasions) the pump nozzle being too sensitive to back pressure (or what ever it is that it detects) and triggering early, was it an old crumbly station you filled up at?

Try the search too as I'm sure someone else has encountered this before, but I can't remember what the cause was.

I've heard of (on rare occasions) the pump nozzle being too sensitive to back pressure (or what ever it is that it detects) and triggering early,

...it has been known... :norty:

Hmm, no it was a Waitrose as the price was right ;)

Ok, I'll try a search and see.... Maybe Darren at G-werks can point me in the general direction tomorrow >_

I get this, it's annoying, since the needle stays at the bottom line (not empty, the one before the red) for ages. Usually they stay at the top for ages, but mine only reads 3.4 full. Small, but annoying problem. PLease let me know how you get on so I can fix mine. Or just hit it with something big, heavy, and possibly sharp.

Ok, here's what I've found so far....

Mines a 1990 G60 with a guage that says it will take up to 15 Gallons. As mines a LHD German import what do you recon the changes are that the dash dials have been changed for later ones as the >92 model C's take 70L instead of the early 50L right ?

So, reasonable logic, or just babble from a none technical idiot *rofl*

haha....

ok, in the last month I've seen one (not counting the ones at G-werks. So I'll have to check against another early model right ?

Guess I'll have to live with it for now.