Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

DE-CATTING

hmmm, could be an interesting problem for me as i'm running a '95 2.9 vr6 in a 1990 16v body, so the engine had a cat once upon a time but the body never did...... not had any prob's with mot's yet (just had one done) but should confuse the tester with the new system. Any ideas how they'll handle it??

when i took my clio for an mot(ageeeeees ago,yes clio)they typed the reg in an it told them it should be fitted with a cat,it was a 93 k just missed out if it had been a 92 it would have been fine

So is there any truth in what ive heard on here, about them introducing a policy in march 06 where all cars (if they came out of factory with a cat) must have the cat fitted?

Need a new exhaust and i was going to go for the de-cat but since hearing that im not too sure. Dont want to spend cash on the de-cat if its a must!

sorry, am i being stupid???

even if these new regs come in, surely there is nothing to stop you de-catting for 364 days a year still??

If your car is registered BEFORE 1st august 1992 you will be okay to take the catalyst off and wont have any problems.Most car's registered after this will probably fail due to the emmision's being to high.

We've been computerised at work now for around 5 month's now the system is pretty good it will even tell you if the car your testing is recorded as a write off or not.If you've got any other question's regarding the mot test let me know and i'll try to awnser them.

hmmm, could be an interesting problem for me as i'm running a '95 2.9 vr6 in a 1990 16v body, so the engine had a cat once upon a time but the body never did...... not had any prob's with mot's yet (just had one done) but should confuse the tester with the new system. Any ideas how they'll handle it??

Your car will be tested as a 1990 vehicle so youre okay.

When you carry out a computerised test now the computer know's what year the vehicle and some other detail's like colour and possibly model but it doesnt allway's know what engine size the car is so we have to fill those detail's in.

This is where you can get around the emmision test.If the engine or engine code can't be identified it alters the emmision limit's :D Usually making them higher..

As a write off???

Another quick Q. I had a crash in my G60, not a bad one. But bad enough for it to cost too much to fix. So technically its a write off. But i decided to take teh car and fix it myself. What happens now? do i have to inform DVLA or IS it wrote off at all?????

As a write off???

Another quick Q. I had a crash in my G60, not a bad one. But bad enough for it to cost too much to fix. So technically its a write off. But i decided to take teh car and fix it myself. What happens now? do i have to inform DVLA or IS it wrote off at all?????

It will only be logged as a write off if you claim against the policy if you decide to repair it yourself and not go through your insurance it wont be logged as a write off!

Ok, so just to recap and check that I understand things correctly my C (92 K reg) will pass the MOT without a CAT presuming that it will passes the emissions test, but will fail after March 2006 as it will show up on the new computerised system as having a CAT fitted as standard ??

Bit of a minefield

Ok, so just to recap and check that I understand things correctly my C (92 K reg) will pass the MOT without a CAT presuming that it will passes the emissions test, but will fail after March 2006 as it will show up on the new computerised system as having a CAT fitted as standard ??

Bit of a minefield

Not having a catalyst fitted when it usually would have is not a reason for failure.

What date was it first registered?

We've not heard about any changes regarding march 2006.