Sign in to follow this  
rmn

crank pulley on a 16V

Well i was out on track on sat, had a great day, had to mind my brakes didnt melt, so i will neeed to upgrade them soon.

but anyway, i noticed the timing had gone off a little, but thought it may have just been out a tooth as when i inspected it nothing appeared to be wrong.

then i pulled into the pits and noticed a noise from the pulleys, i looked and it was as if the power steering bracket had come loose, i firstly checked the 4 alan bolts in the crank to make sure it was not loose there, but they were fine and then checked the pump bracket and it did seem a little loose, but nothing too bad, so i left it

went on fir the rest of the day and had a blast, thenm drove 35 of the 40 miles home for the car to die on me

stopped on the side fo the road with it not wanting to start, now i kinda suspected the bottom pulley, but was a little annoyed to find i was right.

i stripped it today and it has no key left on it and the loosesness was due to the bolt workjing its way loose, only a turn mind you, but enough.

has anyone ever doweled the crank to overcome a torn keyway?

its either that or get a new crank, its an abf bottom end.

Anyone got one?

There is a fella on vwvortex.com, fastbunny I think his name is, he dowels the crank pullies over there.

I don't think you need to replace the crank, I have seen them welded up and filed back into shape before. You could do it in situ and replace the crank seal??

The pulley went on my syncro but once replaced I was happy that the crank damage wouldn't cause any problems. I used a DX bolt to hopefully prevent further issues.

Gavin