Sign in to follow this  
Aus

Curious engine part 2 - RW1, ChrisHill, KevHaywire - thanks!

Hi,

Further to my post yesterdayand thanks guys for your help ref engine hunting when cold, long time starting when warm and engine dying when coasting to a stop - I've checked that the ECU and fuel pump relays are firmly seated and clean (as per the fuel pump fuse).

Haven't had a chance to do all the electrical test as per RW1 but both relays firmly click twice immediately on turning the ignition on. Once the engine has started, knocking the fuel pump relay doesn't affect the engine. Does this suggest the relays are OK, or am I just being hopeful!?

Many thanks again!

from my experiance, my relays still clicked as you'd expect and there were no obvious signs that they were faulty, no tarnished or discoloured 'legs', not running hot, not clicking madly.

IIRC the ECU relay is about £12 and the fuel pump one is £18, TBH if nothing else I'd call in at the stealers and get an ECU relay then at least you can rule it our for the price of a few pints. :)

Thanks Chris - makes sense. Presumably I can just the plug the new ecu relay in without having to worry about resetting anything?

yeah, its just like changing a fuse really. I found the new relay actually fitted with the numbers (109) upside-down rather than the original which had them the right way up! its a good bit smaller too, I suppose relay technologys moved on since 1992! :)

I reckon the relays are fine but you can always flip the lids off them and clean the arc burning off the contact pads for good measure. If you remember 'points' from the good old days, that's what relays suffer from too.

Another thought.....there's a blue temp sender in the front thermostat housing which tells the ECU the engine temperature. The prolonged cranking *could* be the result of a faulty temp sender causing the injectors to chuck too much fuel in. Cold starts are fine as excess fuel is required any way.... just another iron in the fire!

Hi ... replced the blue temp sensor to no avail (altho it all seemed much better for a few weeks and then reverted back to type!)

After some good advice (thanks guys) I replaced the ECU relay (cost £11) earlier this week and the signs are promising of the problems gone away ...

so thanks for the help and versus what the garage wanted to do, massively massively cheaper and a lot more rewarding!