Sign in to follow this  
markievw

battery pain

hi

i have a 1994 corrado vr6. Problem is that the battery drains quickly and i have to charge it before i use the car. I only use the car about 2-3 times a month, but should the battery drain this quick

Also when the car starts it has an uneven idle when cold which is okay as the car hots up. Could this be linked to the battery problem?

cheers in advance of any replies#

mark

Been talked about a lot this. Seems what the dealers would call "idiosyncratic" of the model. :roll:

I dont use my VR6 too often either and find that it will have a low battery after about a fortnight.

I attach battery (no need to take it out of car) to a trickle charger (about £20 from Draper/Halfords) a couple of days a fortnight and have no problems.

Others may tell you to check that boot light goes off OK, or to make do without bulb. Didnt work for me.

There are also suspicions that factory fitted immobiliser/alarm is culprit - I suspect that is true.

Dont be quick to blame battery - I bought new one and it made no difference.

Good luck.

Maybe worth fitting a larger powered battery. I fitted a 74Ah to my G60 (AFAIK standard VR one is 62Ah) after experiencing similar problems. Although mine doesn't have the factory immobiliser, it'll now last for 3 weeks with the CAT1 alarm fully armed & still start okay.

What may cause you a problem Mark, is on the occasions that you do use the car - do you drive it for long enough to fully recharge the battery ?

Uneven idle shouldn't be linked to the battery problem - more likely to be either a faulty coolant temp sensor or dirty ISV. Change the temp sensor (cheap to buy) & soak the ISV in either petrol or carb cleaner.