Sign in to follow this  
ilovemycar

Not quite true when braking..

Only really noticed this since I had new front brake pads/discs, but it seems to not quite hold square through the steering wheel when braking now - am taking it in on Monday, but thought I'd ask here anyway. There seems to be a bit of erratic pulling, slightly from side to side on braking, just doesn't feel true on the road, sorry for the crap explanation. Not all the time either, mainly when braking hard, which I don't do that often.

Any advice?

How long since the new brakes were fitted ?

Were the brakes "bled" (possibility of air in the system) ?

How long since the car had a complete brake fluid change (should be done every 2 years) ?

Are your front tyre pressures even ?

About a month - probably more than 2 years, no I don't think they were bled, tyre pressures should be even, but will check!

How big a job is the brake fluid changing? Time/expense wise?

Complete fluid change will take about 1/2 hour.

If the brakes weren't bled, you may have a small mount of air in one caliper. This would cause the car to pull to one side under braking, not necessarily from side to side though.

If the brakes are on the whole better now than they were previously, it may have highlighted worn suspension components, wishbone bushes, etc.

That's not what I wanted to hear!! Will get it properly checked out then on Monday - wishbone bushes sound like a sort of exotic tree...

What are they and should I replace them anyway, given that the car had been standing for a good year or so before I got it, and not massively loved before that? Any other general "replace and repair" advice?

Without driving the car, it's difficult do diagnose what will be the exact cause of your braking/handling problems.

With the age of these cars, none of the suspension components are likely to be in their best condition.

Unless you want to have the front camber re-aligned more than once. The best thing to do would be to replace the front wishbones (with bushes), bottom ball joints, anti roll bar bushes, top strut mountings & possibly front shock absorbers. All of these items will be worn & any of them could contribute to the problem that you describe. Also have the brake fluid changed.

After changing these - the front camber will need re-aligning (approx £60-£80). If the camber is not re-aligned, the car will handle like a "sack of spuds".

You'll need lowering springs and uprated shocks to lower it - the standard (new) ride height is comically high...

The only way that you'll get adjustable ride is to fit coilovers. The ones that you get will depend almost entirely on how much you want to spend.

The favourite setup seems to be Koni top adjustable struts with H&R springs. You could even go the whole hog & drop it as far as mine . :mrgreen:

Just remember - the lower you go, the more uncomfortable the ride.

Just remember - the lower you go, the more uncomfortable the ride.

Plus a few of the people who run silly amounts lower will attest to how much extra strain this puts on CV joints and driveshafts! Minor drops won't make much difference though.