Sign in to follow this  
James sprinter

Very uneven front tyre wear

So, about 4 months ago i went to get the front tyres replaced. They looked fine but fairly low on rubber for about 3/4 of the tyre. but had parked on full lock just for a general check, and they were bare and delaminating on the inner edge, both sides. Shat myself and had them replaced the next day :(

Got a new set of Toyo proxes and had the tracking sorted at the same time. Now 4 months on the inner edge of both fronts is starting to get raped again!

The car's lowered on koni's, I have the brembo front brake setup and 17inch wheels. theres no noticeable tyre rub on the arches or anywhere.

I do love to push the car hard on corners and slide on roundabouts but is this a bit excessive?

I bought the car with all mods, so have any other lowered, brembo'd beasts out there had this problem? or I guess it could be something to do with camber setting? I know very little about camber, so perhaps someone could explain why that would happen.

Cheers in advance

Your camber angle has not been checked, I take it.. When you lower the car, the camber needs properly re-setting.

Definately sounds like excessive negative camber. This happens when you lower it. As you're in Southhampton I'd get yourself down to Littlehampton Tyres as they have full laser alignment facilities, it's about £40 all in. They'll balance the wheels, check the toe, camber, castor etc. They also check the rear which is useful to know even if you can't adjust it!

They also check the rear which is useful to know even if you can't adjust it!

Believe it or not - there IS a small amount of rear adjustement. Rear axle has a small amount of sideways adjustment - mounting brackets have elongated mounting holes, alowing the axle to be centred correctly.

stevemac: Every day's a school day!

James sprinter: I'll be down there on Saturday with a bit of luck having mine set up. :)

You might also find that the rear beam bushes have failed. thats what happend to mine. worst thing was.... £300.. was expecting it to be more like £200 but the bolts etc where well and truly seezed.