Sign in to follow this  
g666o

Power steering, pump?

I've got an '89 g60 and the power steering is noisy as hell. Am guessing its the pump as this seems common but theres also a kind off swooshing sound coming from the steering hub area. Just wondered if anyone could tell me what this is?

Also is a mk3 golf gti steering pump the the same as the g60's vw part no

1H0 422 155E mines is a german import. Thanks in advance...

Also is a mk3 golf gti steering pump the the same as the g60's

nah the pump on a g60 (( uk at least )) is specific.

g666o, welcome to the forum!

Check the belt, check it's not slack - butmake sure it's not too tight...

What does the power steering fluid look like - should be green and transparent, if not then change it!

G60 power steering pumps are different to the 16v or others due to the outlet being located on the back but facing up not straight out.

Part no:037 145 157BX This is a whopping £300 from VAG and you will need your old one for an exchange as well. As far as I can tell the pumps are a not LHD/RHD specific its the pipe work etc that is but you already have that.

Definataly worth changing the fluid first though to see if it cures it and also look to see that the reserviour has enough fluid in it to start with. If you do change the fluid make sure you only use the VW stuff as the crap you get in Halfords does some nasty things to the PAS pump.

Thank you for the welcome.

Just checked the fluid and its empty :oops:. I'm sure i checked it before tho and it was full, where would it have gone?

I'll get some fluid from vw and fill up see what happens. hopefully its not knackered as £300 :shock: tis a lot.

hopefully its not knackered as £300 tis a lot.

Tis indeed...although you can get reconditioned pumps in exchange for yours in some places. I had a noisy pump on my last g60 and managed to buy a 2nd hand one from a guy on here for £30ish.