Sign in to follow this  
CTWG60

How can I fit an EV B reg Mk2 cylinder head to a G60?

Hi,

New to forum could anyone answer the following question.

Many years ago I cleaned and ported and had the valves and seats re-cut on a cylinder head from a EV code B reg Mk2 1.8 gti cylinder head. It was to be fitted to my C reg hydraulic lifter engine, that was until someone rear-ended me and that was that. Ended up driving my wife's Clio for the next 2-3 years. After breaking the Clio's rear brakes and clutch 6 months later. Decided it was time to get something a bit quicker. So bought a J plate G60 corrado about 3 months ago. Recently I cracked or blew the exhaust manifold/gasket so decided to get a new set of pipes from G-Werks after speaking to Darren about the cylinder head sitting in the garage he informed me that he knew people had fitted mk1 solid lifter heads to G60's before but did not know the details. Could you help me out as this is a pure DIY job due to budget/wife and am mainly concerned about valve sizes and lengths. As far as I know the exhaust valves on the G60 are sodium filled so would probably need to use these in the EV head but they are only 91mm long and the current valves are 97mm if I fitted the G60 valves would not the springs bind and there would be less lift due to the valve length which would actually restrict performance?

I've been trying to figure this out for the last 3 days so would be eternally grateful if someone could put me out of my misery. Cheers.

I didn't get any replies on the above but I did get a response from a pm I sent to Jat aka mk1charger as follows:

"Like you said I've done this in the past and the head you have is the best VW to form good power from. Basically believe it not valve size is not a issue so just leave the head as intended. You are correct that the G60 has sodium filled exhaust valves but on my performance heads I have never used these anyway and have never found any problems whats so ever.

You could just bolt on the head using a G60 head gasket and use the G60 fuel injector inserts in the EX head to house your injectors. Also use a Gti solid lifter cam, a better profile than a G60 one anyway. You couldn't use the G60 item anyway since this is a solid lifter item.

It would be for performance gains the best time to increase your exhaust valve size to 35mm, I can put you in touch with some one who could do this for you since it is not a DIY thing you could do.

Fitment is straight froward, although make sure the bolt mounts are present for the fuel rail for the G60 on the EX head, been some time since I build one.

Also I would get a Mk3 8v GTI exhaust manifold gasket and port the head to suit since the EX are really quite restrictive one the exhaust side form the factory."

Hope this might also help anyone else out there considering the above.