Sign in to follow this  
andy

Cooling Nightmares

About 2 months ago I changed my coolant, ever since then I've had nothing but problems (having previously had none)!

1) The hose between the head and the bulkhead developed a hole and took pouring out steam when hot. Replaced that.

2) Auxillary water pump failed, split in two. Got a new one.

3) Thermostat jammed shut. Replaced along with worn out housing.

4) Main water pump has started p*ssing water now. Got a new one ready to go on.

When will it end! I could buy a new car on what I'm spending on this beast!

Any guesses what will be next!!

Unfortunately, water under pressure will find the next weakest part in the chain as you replace parts. You have been unlucky though.

I did all my coolant stuff a couple of years ago and then recently the matrix popped. Luckily it was just a slight weep rather than a catastrophic rupture.

Interestingly, the main pump is peanuts compared to the other coolant components, especially the ridiculously expensive hoses (from VW)!

Stick at it.... when all the 10 year old stuff is hoiked out you can forget about it all.

Unfortunately, water under pressure will find the next weakest part in the chain as you replace parts. You have been unlucky though.

Interestingly, the main pump is peanuts compared to the other coolant components, especially the ridiculously expensive hoses (from VW)!

Yeah it only £28, 'm fitting a GSF one as they had it on the shelf as opposed to a 2 day wait and exchange only from my stealers. That's a good point about finding the next weakest point, I hadn't thought of it like that. My dad reckons new coolant is known for finding leaks. I should but some shares in G12+ i reckon!

Just remembered.... My new Water pump says you should use sealant, that suprises me tbh. It has a rubber o-ring, thought that would cope, any thoughts?

Sunroof if it works!!!!

Hehe. Nope thats been knackered since I got the car! Need a new one, there don't seem to be any for sale :(