Sign in to follow this  
Rhodri

Help Sunroof leaking!

Can anybody help me out here please? My sunroof decided to stop working a couple of months ago which resulted in me having to close the sunroof by removing the interior light panel and use the allen key. Yesterday i noticed that water was begining to seep through causing the headlining to become wet and there was a little drip falling onto both front seats. Went out to the car this morning and there was a puddle of water on the passengers seat and a damp patch on the drivers seat :cry: .

Guys what do i need to sort this problem out?

Cheers Rhodri

I've got a complete (non-working) late sunroof assembly you can have for £30 plus postage if you like?

Sunroof seals DO leak slightly but it's meant to seep into the surrounding catch channels. All part of the design.

However, it is possible for the seal's gripping "U" part onto the steel roof edge lip to leak by capilliary action. The water goes round the "U" grip/sunroof metal lip and ends up on the inside face of the sunroof panel. Then it drips onto the inner liner panel and soaks it.

It means taking the sunroof panel out and removing the felt seal surround. Putting in a little grease (bearing grease will do) into the "U" grip part of the sunroof seal and on the sunroof panel lip edge. Using something that sets like Gasket Seal will leak again with time as in the summer the roof being heated by the sun will expand /contract and break the sealant, grease will remain flexible longer. It just needs a smear on the metal lip and the seal grip as it goes on. There isn't listed any sealant from VW but every sunroof seal I've removed has evidence of something being used (10 - 15 years and it will have perished). Then refit the seal. This will stop the water capiliary action onto the inside of the panel.

It's messy but does work.

or it could be as easy as the sunroof internal cover is not fully pushed forwards

its has a drain across it and if not pushed home hard enough water comes in through the roof lining

Cheers for that guys. Another problem I have with the roof is that it will only open on tilt but will not open backwards or it will not close. What can i do/need to rectify this problemo?