Sign in to follow this  
sharlie1982

Handbrake not holding on driveway

I recently fitted new rear pads to my beloved G60 last week, after discovering that you need to twist the pistons as you squeeze them!!! Anyway.

The brakes now work brilliantly, having drilled discs all round. The handbrake works very well when driving in traffic.

I parked the car on the driveway (which is slightly sloped) Next thing you hear is a bang as it rolls into the garage door!!! :mad:

I now have to leave the car in gear to stop this happening again.

Is this normal, due to the lack of separate handbrake shoes??

after discovering that you need to twist the pistons as you squeeze them!!!

Fools every one new to rear discs on VW's.......

I now have to leave the car in gear to stop this happening again

Should always with rear disc braked cars anyway and turn the front wheels to the kerb when relevant.

It may be that the handbrake levers on the rear calipers where the cables couple up are partly siezed. Good enough for traffic but don't move enough to compensate for cooling of the brakes when parked up. I think your's will be the Mk2 type caliper which are prone to this seizing problem. You may be able to "work" them free but usually replacement and then think about using Mk3 or Mk4 type calipers (Use search for other relevant topics).

I had to adjust the handbrake cable after changing the rear pads and disks on my vr. In theory shouldn't need to....but.

I had to adjust the handbrake cable after changing the rear pads and disks on my vr. In theory shouldn't need to....but.

Cables should never need adjusting. Once the rear shoes & discs are replaced, cables should be re-attached to the caliper & slack taken out at the handle with the securing nuts.

If the handle ever feels "loose", the calipers are likely to be on their way out.

Cables should never need adjusting. Once the rear shoes & discs are replaced, cables should be re-attached to the caliper & slack taken out at the handle with the securing nuts.

If the handle ever feels "loose", the calipers are likely to be on their way out.

damn it thats what mine feels like!!!!

already bought 2 calipers

mk4 it is then!!!

ben

Is that when the springs wear out Steve?? thats what happened to one of mine on the TDI, looking at them off the car they both look fine but the older one just couldn't keep tension and kept making the caliper bind...

Supercharged, The springs usually stay quite strong but the handbrake operating arm becomes stiff - it starts to seize where it passes through the caliper body. This stops the handbrake from completely disengaging & makes the handle feel "loose".

The knock-on effect of this is that the rear brakes stay partially applied, causing the rear brakepads & discs to wear prematurely.

This also happens if you fit brand new calipers that are a slightly different type ... my hand brake handle is sloppy for the first cm or two and it's only since having the rear calipers changed. Nothing else was changed.

Clearly they never opened up the handbrake housing to adjust the cables for the new calipers. They're like that, bunch of useless tossers. I don't use them any more ...

dr_mat, "type" should make no difference. When the calipers are correctly fitted, the handbrake handle should be nice & tight.

Your handbrake cables either need replacing or were not correctly tightened when the cables were re-attached to the calipers.

Corrado16ved, i'd try bleeding it first but yes it sounds like its knackered...

If you go MK4 you will need the pair plus the goodridge conversion hoses, I got mine last year at a show for £121 all in brand new and no exchange - might be worth going to santa pod on sunday!