Sign in to follow this  
ben16v

what satnav to buy?

Do you live in London Phil? ----- I was testing in Coventry, Birmingham and the countryside of Warwickshire. The Navman did well in Coventry but no where else. Maybe B'ham is a real bummer to get a fix; because when I borrowed the Navman 520 and went to London, it soon got a fix on our return once I turned the thing back on. Location Location Location LOL

NB: Im aware that you can buy an additional aerial but couldn't be doing with the hastle, wires and cost.

Tall buildings tend to throw them but it's normally a case of sit tight, have a fag and wait for it too lock on - if you're traveling then it takes ages to find a signal...

Air quality might have been the problem in Birmingham ;) (puts on flame suit :lol: )

im about to buy a new sat nav i previously swore by tom tom and am surprized jets dad doesnt find it any good? i had a navman for a week and it was awful but was the base model £40 off ebay! like the look of sony ones but never sen one in the flesh or used one. decisions decisions

Im therefore 'lost' as to what to buy. But will most likely buy the Garmin on the basis that it seems to live up to the hype that it has a TFF, from cold, of 38 seconds or less.

Which Nuvi is this mate? 300 or 310?

I was thinking between the Navman iCN530 and the Garmin Nuvi 310. And now I've just come across these 2, what do you think?

http://www.satnav2u.com/products/detail ... P405113388

http://www.satnav2u.com/products/detail ... UCT=RA-NAV

I like the fact that its Road Angel (known for their speed camera detector) combining the SatNav.

Ive recently bought the Navman iCN330, on offer from comet £100. I find it works well.......... so far. I think it was a bit of a bargain. My mate has the iCN 310 and he says the signal is hard for it to establish itself.

Like i say ive had no probs with the Navman iCN330 after a few uses over the course of a week and thought i got a good one for the money i spent. I would have liked the 530 but i wasnt willing to spend the cash on it. Well not at this present time.

Ive recently bought the Navman iCN330, on offer from comet £100. I find it works well.......... so far. I think it was a bit of a bargain. My mate has the iCN 310 and he says the signal is hard for it to establish itself.

Like i say ive had no probs with the Navman iCN330 after a few uses over the course of a week and thought i got a good one for the money i spent. I would have liked the 530 but i wasnt willing to spend the cash on it. Well not at this present time.

Do you know anything about the Garmin Nuvi 310? If so, any ideas how it compares to the Navman iCN530?

ive just bought a Blaupunkt CD rom based sat nav head unit. It finds a signal in about 10 seconds everytime and is bang on. Its very simple, just arrows but very good speech, imo all you need unless you want the pose factor of a green line that moves slightly.

You can save 10 routes and still play CDs as it can store in its internal memmory. IT very oem looking too which i like and wicked sound quality off the cd.

Having said that i am financing clutch/chains and some boost work so it will be for sale on here tommorrow.

That aside, i'd go tomtom 1.

I have the Garmin nuvi 310D from Halfrauds and only got it there as for the money (£299) you get a full Europe CD, 256Mb memory Card and a FM traffic reciever which is not as good as the TomTom info but is free for life. Traffic updates work well though and hopefully the info will get better.

It normally finds the satalites within a few seconds and the routes it does are good and even takes some of the shortcuts I do. Does have a few routes that I think are a bit longer but it bases the route on the speed of the road and dosent take into account that if you go another way it may have a much more fun road to burn down!!!

Hi guys, just to clarify those points again, as some of you may have got the wrong idea. The iCN530 was very good in many ways but definately had problems getting a Time to First Fix, either stood outside or in the car. However, some of you in better locations might not have any problems - the best advice is to go test one in a store.*** ___ If the Navman iCN530 got a good signal for me in B'ham, I'd definately keep it, as the route options are better than Garmin. I know I slated the Garmin on page 3, but didn't realise that the Garmin has a stronger signal (which is fundamental to me).

The Garmin nuvi range (300,310,310D,350,360,660) and the 'C series' all use the highly sensitive SiRF receiver and have a Time to First Fix specification of 36 seconds and under. From borrowing the 310D, this was true.

My small dilema now is choosing between the following, and will simply come down to MY personal preferences; as all of the come with a Euro map, sensitive receiver, 3.5" screen. Its come down to the Garmin:

- c510D (Delux) for £250 in Halfords

- nuvi 310D (Delux) £300 Halfords

- c550 £350 on Amazon

The benefits of each:

Garmin 310D

- Travel assistant (not sure how useful that is)

- very slim and can be used on foot

- headphone jack for those with aftermarket exhaust (not me)

Garmin c550

- the traffic TMC module is built in, and not an extra cable

- Text to Speach: ie. speaks the street names

- headphone jack for those with aftermarket exhaust (not me)

- has an sunlight readable screen (not just anti glare like the 310)

x big and bulky (kinda)

? not sure if the TMC is a lifetime subscription???

Garmin c510D

- the traffic TMC module is built in, and not an extra cable

- has an sunlight readable screen

x big and bulky (kinda)

? not sure if the TMC is a lifetime subscription???

Maybe I just like the slimness of the nuvi. The streetpilot c550 seems best equipped but over my original budget. The c510D seems the sensible choice. Maybe the nuvi is a compromise between the two... or not...!

Which Nuvi is this mate? 300 or 310?

I was thinking between the Navman iCN530 and the Garmin Nuvi 310. And now I've just come across these 2, what do you think?

All of the nuvi range are the same hardware (except the new 660). Therefore all use the same antenna. However, the 310 and the 360 come with Bluetooth - if thats of any help to you. The higher spec 350 and 360 come with European map and Text-to-speach voice signals, meaning it says the name of the road you need to turn into. The 310D (Delux) seems an awesome package, as you get the European map, bluetooth, and even the Traffic Warning system (TMC) - free subscription.

Either way, why not phone their Head office with any queries - thats what I did and they were of a great HELP.

As for those Roadangels, I have no idea how good they are. I like the screens and layout. But I have no idea how good the antenna are for signal. They are supposed to be the best for up to date speed camera locations; but thats of no use to me - I tend to slow down in those types of areas anyway - and these systems do not pick up the mobile laser guns like the dedicated systems (normal Roadangel) can.

HTH 8)

*** Test in Store: funny story - the Leamington Halfords are great and take them outta the glass cases and let you fiddle. The Coventry branch keep them well protected behind security perspex and tell you to stick you fingers through the holes to test the devices.

StuartFZR400, We sell garmin units at work, i may be able to do something on the price for you. If you PM me when you know which model you're after ill get you a price.

hth

Baz.

well i just bought a tom tom 910 as they were 100 squid off in tescos so far very impressed it reads your texts and operates all phone functions, oh and its gps unit as well! very neat bit of kit.

i have the navman icn550,total pants,very dissapointed,cant hear a thing the mad american women is saying!?

Tis on full volume & im not an old fart with bad hearing.

Thats in the corrado,defo no chance of hearing in the sprinter.

Gunner send back,navman have said "get some amp speakers & plug in unit"

Cheers mate,it was £440,you should be able to hear it!?

got the ipod lead for the tom tom today bloody brilliant works so well all the gadgets on the tom tom work so well and intuitevly (spl) its not true!!

Does have a few routes that I think are a bit longer but it bases the route on the speed of the road and dosent take into account that if you go another way it may have a much more fun road to burn down!!!

yeah it needs a scoring system , like a star 5 stars mental A road

and 1 star motorway :)

using the tom tom 910 tonight listening to tunes on my ipod controlled through the tom tom beep beep a text come through on my phone and the tom tom reads it to me! technology has finally made my life better thank you tom tom!! oh and no i didnt text them back i rang them using the tom toms bluetooth hands free :)-

Has anyone had any experience with the Garmin StreetPilot i Series??

My GF is thinking of getting me one for christmas as i am always getting lost!

Used the Garmin Nuvi 310D in Birmingham for 3 days straight, and it took me wherever I wanted/needed to go, cant fault it all, absolutely a gem without a doubt, love it and HIGHLY recommend it if someone is thinking about it.