Sign in to follow this  
Will

ABS warning light

Just took my VR for an MOT and it failed on the ABS warning light not coming on.

I had a problem with a rear sensor a while back which meant the light didn't go out but now it doesn't come on when the ignition's turned on. I thought it might be the bulb so took the light out of the dash but it's soldered to a circuit board.

I have enquired about replacing the unit but VW want £100! No way I'm paying that for an ABS light - especially when I don't know for sure that's the problem!

Has anyone else had a similar problem or any ideas...?

Thanks.

What year is the VR? There were 2 types of ABS lights fitted to the VR6 (Not sure about the 16v), but the earlier ones had a 'AA' suffix on the part number, and had a textured facia. The later ones (94 on i think) had a 'AB' suffix on the part number and a smooth facia.. Th pin outs for both are totally different, so they're no interchangable.

If it's the later one, good luck mate!! Took me 3 years to find a 2nd hand one (like you, i wasn't gonna fork out for a brand new one from the stealers!). The earlier ones were easier to find, and poppped up on ebay quite a bit..

Steve

Have you scanned the ABS with VAG-COM to see if you actually have any ABS faults? I'm just trying to work out whether you've genuinely got a blown bulb in that facsia unit or you've just got an ABS relay fault or a busted ABS ECU.. If VAGCOM can't connect to the ABS ECU then chances are it's either got no power at all, or it's faulty.

(Oh, and it might be worth talking to GPCvwaudi.com to see if they can get the part from germany for less.)

The car's a '93 so I'm guessing the earlier type. Strange thing is I disconnected the battery overnight and the ABS, then measured the voltage from the plug feeding the ABS warning light and it seemed to be working. So, I put the light back in, turned the ignition on and it worked! Only thing is it goes out once I disarm the immobiliser.

Anyway, took it back to the garage and they passed it and the ABS kicks in fine when I stamp on the brakes. Guessing it's possibly a wiring fault somewhere but think I'll leave it alone until it becomes a problem again.