Sign in to follow this  
briggy

ABS Pump for VR6

Hi,

After several weeks of the ABS light coming on intermittently, I finally took it to the garage and they plugged in the fault reader. The fault is with a valve in the ABS pump. They cleared the memory and told me to come back if it came on again. Sure enough, that's what happened. Same fault. They then quoted me £1445.50 + VAT for a new ABS pump & ECU. Not an option. Thankfully, I have a good garage who gave me a list of contacts to try for a second hand one.

I've been looking round and I think I've found one. This particular one has only 2 pipes coming out the side & 4 empty outlets. My first question is - can the 6 old pipes from mine be reused or should they come with the replacement unit? The second question is - can I reuse my ECU or is it unique to the individual pump?

Advice would be appreciated as I don't want to shell out on something that's not right.

Cheers,

Briggy

If the pump has 4 outlets then it's a pump from a 16v, i'm not sure that it can be used

Out of interest how much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry, to clarify - there are 6 outlets, but only 2 of those have the pipes attached. The other four are just holes. I need to know if I can attach the pipes that are currently attached to mine or do I need the replacement pump to come with them.

Not bought it yet - I'm just trying to confirm if it's usable.

Cheers,

Briggy

You should be able to reuse the existing ones. A decent garage shouldn't have too many problems with that.

As long as it's the right part!!

Thanks for that.

I'm happy it's the right part as the part number's match.

Can I reuse the ECU from mine or does it have to come with the replacement pump?

Cheers,

Briggy

Before you shell out for it, double-check it's getting power. I had the same problem and VW quoted me an astronomical figure for a new one. Turned out that the wiring between the battery and the ABS Pump had died which is slightly cheaper to put right ;-)