Sign in to follow this  
Fiona

Car won't start! Help

Hi Guys the car didnt start very well yesterday, and today it started, then I was defrosting the car and it cut out and won't start at all now.

It was like the battery was going flat, The rev counter was also going mental when the car wasnt running.

I was thinking it could be an earth fault or the alternator ( not sure if corrado has feed for rev counter from alternator ).

What do You guys think, didnt have time to look this morning as had to get to work.

Cheers Guys. :cry: :cry:

With the rev counter going mental , is that just when you turn the key? If so it could be an ignition switch failure. A good way to check is to remove the plug from the starter motor and run an insulated wire directly from there to the positive terminal of the battery. If it starts with no problems, then it sounds like an ignition switch failure.

Not expensive (about £15 for parts), but does involve a certain amount of contortion and swearing :-) There's a guide on How To on the forum.

Good luck,

Tom

Which engine?

Rev counter feed is not from the alternator...

Does it turn over on the key?

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when the ign is turned on?

Are you getting a spark?

Will it start if you bump it down the road?

Gavin

ok still need help. Yes fuel pump is running, yes it does turn over, yes am getting a spark and it does bump start.

Got the car towed to the garage last week and my otherhalf was looking at it and had the fuse box out and fuse no 15 had a 25amp fuse instead of a 10amp one, before he noticed this one of the wires burnt out behind the fuse, so he replaced the fuse with 10 amp one and sorted the wiring.

He then cleaned all the earths in the engine bay, and the car went, he ran it in the garage for a bit ok, but when I picked it up i drove about quarter of a mile and it started kangerooing, cut out and now wont start again, think there could be another fuse blown as windscreen wipes went on and stoped half way up the screen, havent had chance to look at it yet with xmas works night out all weekend!

We noticed when its fucking up that a valve ( Not sure what it is ) is clicking when the rev counter is sparking . The valve is located infront of the dissy cap. and also the dissy cap is sparking when this valve is clicking.

PS the dissy cap is fine and so is the rotor arm.

PLEASE HELP !

ECU relay if there is one. Most VWs have them.

Wipers is not a related fault IMO.

Hi we thought that too but VW say that my engine doesnt have one!

No Haynes don't. Bentley do a Corrado manual, availabale from amazon.com or eBay etc. but it's not cheap. :)

I am presuming my engine is basicly the same as a mk3 golf 16v engine, and not the mk2 golf 16v ? I presume its the mk3 as the mk2 golf was only a 1800, so would I be able to look at a haynes manual for the mk3 golf instead, I assume they are basically wired the same?

What do you think?

Cheers Guys

Nah, the 9A is more like the 1800 from the mk2. It has a more modern system of fueling and ign.

The engine had a detailed description in a Passat Haynes manual. If you do a search you will get the number. You can then hunt it down on ebay or amazon.

I think you should have a look in the fuel pump relay. I have seen plenty with dry soldered joints. You can jump it and have the pump run all the time, to eliminate it.

Gavin

That was the next call. Got to do the cheap ones first though. New dissy £100.

Should the same as an 1800 if you know of one in a breakers.

Gavin

you see new dists on ebay for 40£

*edit* ive just a look on eaby and cant find one...theyre on there often if you can wait

Hiya.

Sounds just like the problems i have been having with mine. At first mine showed symptoms of not charging. So i replaced the earths all round and checked all the fuses. This seems to have done the trick although i am going to replace the crankshaft sensor at the same time.

Is it still running but really badly when the rev counter is going up and down? This is what mine did, also accompanied by some backfiring.

its the one on the left on that diagram. its a doddle to change and there are some good new ones on ebay mine cost around £50 posted. pity its not my hall sender though... im just keeping my old dizzy as a spare now.

erratic spark could be : coil, hall , ign amp so be wise when checking as its took me this long to figure its the amp on mine (i think haven't changed it yet but everything else has been, see other thread).