Sign in to follow this  
Beetlebug_2001

Drilled airbox questions

Ok i know ive already posted a topic about this but now i got the info bout how to do it i need to know can doin this mod cause the engine to run bad because of it having air sensors ect on the airbox, got my corrado today im well chuffed, but the worst thing is no tax or test so just gotta look at it it for now till cover note comes through 2moro so i can get it taxed. pics coming soon

I don't think drilling your airbox will cause any engine running problems. Although if you've got a G60 it may be a bit risky (supercharger sucking in dust)

What did you buy anyway?

Just bought a 1.8 16v, i think the colours called storm grey, its kick ass runs sweet, had my dad check it over cos hes a mechanic and he said its fine, the tappets are a little rattley but stops when warms up so ill probs replace them in a month or so, been dropped 40mm, got lots of bills with it all the way back to when it was bought brand new, so think its gona be a good motor for me, got 120k on the clock but with my dad being a mechanic i can look after it with minimal costs.

Congratulations on your new Corrado.....drilling the airbox won't cause any adverse effects, its probably best to drill a few holes at the bottom end of the box, but keep them to a small size, if you want more noise you can always add another hole.

Happy Motoring :D

Another question on drilled air boxs, took mine apart to look at the CC, how many holes and what Diameter are we talking, I was thinking one big hole about 60mm, with a cold air feed ducted from front grill, relocating the CC to wheel arch. What do you think??

Cheers Guy.

Can i ask a daft question ?

But why are you drilling the airbox?

Having it sealed with the ram pipe in helps in performance when your on the move...

Is it just for noise :?

Cheers James

Macca - it's really upto you how many to put in, like most people have said, the more you drill the 'throatier' it sounds. Check this site out if you already haven't done http://www.kf010a4571.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ and click on the downloads section.

I basically did this, drilled about 25, 12mm holes and also did the cold air intake from the back of the grill leading into the airbox and i tell you what - what a BIG difference this has made.

I've taken some pics, when i get them developed i'll post em so you can see !

shane k

Cheers, good info and pics. Thats a lot of holes!

CorradoVR6-n.o.s

Was thinking of one big hole (60mm) and cold air ducted pipe sealed into This hole. Located in the corner of air box above CC hole, the original opening seems a tad restricted for such a big engine :?

Any better Ideas?? not too bothered about noise, do you need a high flow filter as well?? I know it will be better but worth £50??

Any spare Air boxs kicking around??

Cheers Guy.

I got my C near the start of the year and Swiss Cheesed (drilled holes) the air box. definately a cheap mod worth doing.better throttle response,i drilled quite alot of holes bout 20mm on the side thats nearest the wing removed the snorkle aswell.havnt had a single prob,still std filter still unsure which company to go with there.and i havnt made a cold air feed.let me kno how u get on.

Just done the mod today also, don't know how long its gonna take to lose the big smile on my face, already had a K&N pannel filter installed so not sure how much difference there is in sound to the standard filter, drilled 16mm holes on the side thats closest to the wing and added the cold airducting also, feels a little more responsive but all i wanted was the sound so thats a bonus, got full install instructions from the scotland corrado club website in the downloads section.

Bally - it's a 92 (J) 16v, Pearl Green. haven't done much to it yet, just a set of BK 299 17" alloys and lowered. Get me full stainless Miltech fitted next week.

Cragbeal - has it made a difference ? The responce on mine is well better !!

Its a nice motor shane.. whats the mileage on it?? rims really suit the car... how much is it lowered?

dont know cos when i pulled it off it was already drilled the same as the insructions and it already had a k&N pannel filter when i bought it too. i was gutted cos i was looking forward to drilling the box too :(

Cragbeal - The cold air intake makes a lot of diff i thought, just shed loads more air being drawn in !

Bally - It's been lowered 40mm. Paid £3000 for it last May. It had 91k on the clock, now got 99k. Don't want to hit the 100k mark !!!!! :cry:

Did you see the pics on that link i posted ?

Hi Shane

Cars looks cool 4 a 40mm drop.. I do like it... 3k seems ok for the mileage, I'm looking at one on the wkend on a J too..

I saw the other pics mate, like the pics of the car on the driveway, looks alot lower than 40mm! :D

can't wait to get a C...

Its all about looking after it @ the end of the day...

Yeap I'm after a 16v...

if I don't like the one I see 2mrw (if it aint already sold) then I'll have a look at Woburn on Sunday...

Wish me luck... :D

Good luck my man !! Let us know how it turns out !!!

The black one was a nail shane.. but I got a 1.8 16v lastnite!! :D

capnahab myn hasn't been done yet, but once I've got the car home I plan to!! :wink: