Sign in to follow this  
Furkz

Water Pump

2 weeks ago there was a water leak directly under the water pump. There wasn't masiive amounts of coolant loss but was a visable puddle, it had been dripping all night slowly. I took it to the mechanic and he plugged in a bung thing to the water bottle and built up pressure and after about 5mins t started to leak....since than which was about two weeks ago it never done this again, till today when i left the car idle-ing for around 10 mins whilst i was chatting to a mate and noticed it leaking. it leaked for abt 5 mins left a small puddle and stopped

does this mean:

1. I need a new water pump

2. I could get some type of sealant to sort this like rad weld or a comma alternative which is meant to be really good at sorting this out.

3. Something u guys know as a fix ????????

thanks in advance

P.S 92 G60 1.8 8V car in question

im doing mine on saturday.

it started with little leaks at the plastic connectors on the head. ive chased all the leaks and the water pump became the weakest link and does just that. it drips from the pulley side.

what you need is a new pump. it is probable that the water pump impeller is worse for wear too so a replacement is all that you can do.

you need to remove the alt, charger and swing PAS pump out of way. water pump is connected straight to the engine behind all these. you can see it behind the charger brakect next to the knock sensor. get 2 new seals, one for pump to engine and the other for thermostat housing. get a new thermostat too. id expect a expensive job if you aint doing it yourself as the labour costs will be quite large.

i got my pump for a tenner and bout the same for the stat and seals.

get a mate to fit the water pump while you are doing the red-tops 65mm and SNS doodah :D :D

i wanna do it myself but im scared if i take it all apart and then wont recall where it all goes back or something along that line....

take some pictures. least you can see what was what before hand then. not too bad a job.

tip of the day for the tensioner on the charger belt.

get 2 big jubilee clips, around 76mm each and join them together. use these to compress the tensioner. we put it in a vice after to compress it down the put the clips back on for refit.