Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

fitting my Koni TAS & H&RS

Hello there happy Christmas and a happy new year and all!

Just preparing to build up my struts complete with all new bits so no need to strip the old! I am just a little worried about the front spring plates. I know the suspension swaps at 94 and mines a 94 VR6. With out taking the old one off yet i cant see whats on the car . I ordered two types of spring plates from VAG for the front and the back ones. Can someone out there who has maybe done this before let me know if this is the right part number ? (1HO 412 341) That would put my mind at rest !

Also I understand you have to chop off what ever the drop is off the bump stops . I think the drop is about 35mm Im I right ? So would I cut 35mm off the front and rears ? And also am I correct in saying 35 off the bottom of the fronts and top of the rears ?

Sorry for all these questions I know Im probably thinking right I just want to be sure !

Any help would be great cheers !!!

You chop 35mm out of the bottom of the rear BSs. Not sure on the fronts as I just used MK4 BSs as they're shorter.

Mine's a May 94 and it needed the larger spring top cap from VW. Can't remember the P/N tho!

kevHaywire I thought you would of cut it off the top because of the dust cover screws to the bottom of the bump stop ?

Also if your using different spring plates than what was standard on the car does this mean that the top cap/plate are different? Would I have to replace these aswell or be alright with the originals ?

Thanks for any help guys ! :D

Yeah you're right, I can't remember what they look like as it's been a while since I've had a rear strut in bits, but yeah, there's a plain unribbed bit which you snip.

For spring plate you need the larger one from early VRs as H&R only make the springs for that size top plate. It doesn't affect anything.

Sorry Im getting confused a bit ,you dont mean I have to snip around the dust cover ! I looked at the instructions that came with the konis and it looks like its saying to cut five mm off the cover if you taken the c clip a knotch up on the rear struts, I guess it lowers it 5mm . I was thinking 35mm off the bump stops only ?

I didnt know whether to give vince or someone at Stealth a call but I know how some companys are about given out free advice!

What do you think?

Vince will help if he's there mate.

I can't remember. All I know is you cut it from the side that rests on the damper itself (it's a spring assistor, not bump stop, so is compressed permanently), so that would be the bottom by my reckoning. And make sure the white plastic ring is present on the rear koni or the BS will suck oil out of it.