Sign in to follow this  
martyjmcfly

Oil on HT leads = i feel like a twit

You live and learn people and i've just educated myself in the subject of 'not to leave a small drip of oil on the HT leads'

Went to start it and bang (like a shot gun), then a small poof of smoke (from the HT leads)

I don't think there is any damage apart from this part attached to the idle control valve? Its cracked up the middle and around the front with some foam hanging out te bottom. I can only think that some form of blow back caused the casing to rupture.

I go to start it but it idles really baddly and stalls. I hope this part will sort the problem? If any one knows different info would be much appreciated i.e fried ECU or coil pack. What other checks should i make after making such a ***k up?

Does any one know the part no. of this bit? I tried to make a temporary seal with tape but to no avail!

(Its a VR by the way)

Happy New Year people!!!

That is the silencer for your ISV, AFAIK it isn't actually essential... I might be wrong but I don't think that alone would cause the problem.

That is the silencer for your ISV, AFAIK it isn't actually essential... I might be wrong but I don't think that alone would cause the problem.

It might, if it's cracked then air will be getting in there, so I think the ISV damper will need replacing (or bypasssing)

It might, if it's cracked then air will be getting in there, so I think the ISV damper will need replacing (or bypasssing)

Yes, needs sorting. Plus the ignition leakage you must have in the lead. At least remove each lead from it's carrier groove and wipe with WD40 as well as inspect. Plus check all other leads for damage and resistance (5kohm +/- 3Kohms as a rough guide.).

It could be related to the oil drip but it does point to an HT leakage on the lead. The result was no spark so when the ignition fire again on the exhaust stroke the backfire in the cylinder concerned blew back via the inlet valve. The ISV must have been open so it blew the silencer apart.

VR6 ignition with coil packs fire twice per cycle, about 20 multiple times on induction stroke and the same on the exhaust stroke.

Funny this!

H8RRA's VR has blown up a few of these and we kind of put it down to either a sticking valve not closing fully as the engine had been apart and standing for a long time or the buckets(followers) or tappets some may call them were not squished enough and thus won't let the valve close and a backfire causing the ISV air reservoir to explode.

This may or may not be correct i don't know but this thread may shed more light on it.

If the 6lead coil pack has 2 leads per coil then it makes sense that it will spark twice a cycle.

If there was vaporised fuel in the inlet or exhaust when the second spark fired this would cause the explosion.

More explanation is needed me thinks

Chris

Cheers guys,

its lucky that a blow back affects ts something that was noticable without major inspection work.

I'll try the Ford stealership for the part.

Update on whats happended since

-fitted the new damper and the car started up fine YIPPEEEEE

-a few revs on the throttle and all was fine but when the engine speed fell it sat a 2000 rpm, the throttle body was a little sticky so i eased it back to idle.

-Then the car started to miss quite badly.

-When the revs built up to 3500-4000 rpm it was fine so i nursed the car to my local VW guy

-He fitted new HT leads and plugs (and also did the steering rack i've needed doing for a while) and found the miss problem had gone away.

-After puting the car all back together on the road test the miss problem has returned. He reckons its a sticking valve or something when on the blow back some crap has got trapped?

Does anyone have any feed back as this guy is not cheap?

Is the miss load related or constant? If the former, probably the coilpack. If the latter, possibly mechanical but I doubt back firing through the inlet would cause a valve to start binding.

I would say load related. The more gas under acceleration the more the slower the build up. The gentler gas the smoother less miss (althought slower) build up.

I'll ring the guy to suggest coil pack.

Good, then we can outrule the valve.

Spray some water on the coilpack with the engine running (when dark) and that'll soon reveal a knackered pack.

Good, then we can outrule the valve.

Spray some water on the coilpack with the engine running (when dark) and that'll soon reveal a knackered pack.

How? Not heard of that before?

Update - ALL FIXED FLIPPING YIPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Two oil changes with 'Forte' system flush cured the problem. So the sticky valve tappet theory was true. All i can think is some crap got brought up when i topped the oil up. The oil must have been low and mucky and when i added the new oil this must have chucked the dirty stuff up and caused the blow back when there was compression on firing up with the idle valve open blowing the ISV sound supressor up.

I did suggest the coil pack which would have been the his next course of action.

Thank you for your help and input everyone very much appreciated.

With the new steering rack, rod ends etc the car feels really F###### great. It took me a good hour to make my way home!

The geometry has been set up by hand i.e no laser alignment. He noticed prior that the geometry was really bad and this is after a recent visit to the local tyre company who set the car up with laser alignment!

I can vouch that the car has never felt so good.

Cheers

M

Well there's a thing!

Never heard of that before....not to a VW at least! Shame on you for letting the oil get manky enough to contain 'bits' in the first place :-)

Glad it's sorted....

I think the moral of the storey here is don't let your oil get low and mucky and then add shit loads of clean oil to top up. Keep on top of little leaks which over time bite you in the ass.

Boy do i feel like a twit. fin