Sign in to follow this  
aposegil

Why are diesels so noisey

hello guys

why is it diesels are so loud? even if the same unit what makes it louder than the other one?

reason i ask few pmates one has a mkIIGTD and the other passat TD both same lumps identical but the passat alot quieter than the mkII

thanx in advance

mate i understand some of it is due to that but when both identical units why is one louder than the other

its like having two vr's and ones alot louder than the other

golf has 40K more

and yep the golf gets more usauge out of it i would say knowing the two drivers but then its serviced alot more and maintained more than the passat

Hydraulic

Diesels are noisy because the fuel explodes rather than burns but I've no idea why one is quiter than the other in your situation! Has one got a cover and the other not? Does the Passat have an sound proofed under tray like the MK4 has? That really helps cut noise.

dont know never looked under the passat

oh well just worth asking as if it was something like tappets worth changing as the guy with the mkII wants to recon the turbo for a bit more fun lol

Have a snout under the passat, it might have a sound deadener!

Could be worth changing the tappets if it's a high miler, can only help!

"diesel knock" as it's known is the noise of the flame travel within the combustion chamber thats why years ago diesels had indirect injection meaning the injector squirted into a pre-chamber the noise was greater now with direct injection flame travel is less so less noise is made

as for some engines sounding louder than others it's the same with petrol

so many variables on each engine not least wear and tear

so the noise is not mecanical it's caused by the combustion of the fuel air mixture just think when petrol cars overun (keys in your hand and engine still going ) it sounds like a diesel because the mixture is being ignited by a hot spot and traveing across the chamber

Rob

Is it possible that the one in the Passat is a newer PD engine and the one in the Golf an older non PD or even an SDI engine? The PD is more refined that the other / earlier TDI engines and are probably a fair bit quieter too..

Mk2 Gtd are 1.6, the engine u have its a 1.9td idi isnt it?

There shouldnt be any great difference as the compression ratios are around the same. Most likley it will be a knackered part.

Also the pumps are almost identical.

Things which could be causing the extra noise could be:

tappets

crack(leak in manifold)

slack in the drive belt (worn tensioner)

vibrating engine parts.

Just live with it its a diesel :lol:

Is it possible that the one in the Passat is a newer PD engine and the one in the Golf an older non PD or even an SDI engine? The PD is more refined that the other / earlier TDI engines and are probably a fair bit quieter too..

mate these engines are in mk2 some mk3, they are driven by mechanical pumps and have no ecu's, they are indirect injection engines. I think alex is on about these :)

I utterly detest the sound of diesel engines. unfortunately, most of my neighbours have them and one of them seem to just love firing his van up at 6am and leaving his engine runnign for 20 minutes before he goes to work.........

I utterly detest the sound of diesel engines. unfortunately, most of my neighbours have them and one of them seem to just love firing his van up at 6am and leaving his engine runnign for 20 minutes before he goes to work.........

but u cant get in a cold van before you go to work :lol:

But diesels don't properly warm up until you drive them anyway.. so all its doing is sitting there burning fuel and making a row!