vr6storm

quick-guide to storms

ok here is a guide for all you non-storm owners or people who are prepared to pay "premium" prices for a couple of badges

now i'll make this very clear now...........as much as this may seem that i am slating the storm model i wouldn't change mine for anything,but it really amazes me how people will just limit their choice for the stormover a sometimes better-specced/better condition non-stormVR..........i too did just do that when i was looking for a Corrado VR6 but i landed lucky and bought mine at VR6 money

ok here goes

Bodywork/exterior

mystic blue paint(stormonly) or classic green (both pearl effects),

colour coded grille(if its the original grille only the botom slats will be open,

chrome Corrado,VR6 badges(front and rear),

Storm badge to rear(in red),

15inch "BBS" solitude alloy wheels(BBS or VW centre caps)

50mm front lip spoiler(tho this AFAIK was a 94> change and is not exclusive to the storm)

Interior

storm badge on centre console(in place of Karmann badge)

black heated leather seats(mystic blue) or beige heated leather seats(classic green) both standard VW sport-seat design,all door cards also with leather & "leatherette"

black dashboard(both models)

black plastics,carpets & parcel-shelf(mystic blue)biege plastics,carpets& parcel-shelf(classic green)

Sony CD-tuner

Full electrics

Mechanicals/Engine/Running gear etc

nothing :roll: just the same ABV VR6 engine found in all the other VR Corrado's,likewise suspension and gearbox

Misc.

only available from APR 95>(M,N & P-reg)last one built will have been built in JUN/JUL 95

there will be no mention whatsover that it is astorm in the log-book either

A/C wasn't standard or a factory option either.......just a dealer-fit/aftermarket option

and of the total run of 500.....250 were of each colour and (not 100% on this one)10 of each colour were available as automatics

did they ever make a corrado in P reg ????

no they were never MADE in P-reg......just some were still un-registered when P-reg came about,afterall Corrado production was stopped the month or so before N-reg came out

Mine's a better spec than a Storm...... ;)

Cheaper too! :lol:

The Mystics also have red brake calipers as standard.

fraid they don't.........you not getting confused with the anniversary gti's?

Hmm, the original owner of mine said the car was sold as they received it, complete with red calipers.

Didn't the storm featured on the old UK corrado club website have a close up of the alloys showing them too?

Hmm, the original owner of mine said the car was sold as they received it, complete with red calipers.

Didn't the storm featured on the old UK corrado club website have a close up of the alloys showing them too?

it is possible that the car you have has had the calipers painted red but this was not done at the factory and was not a stormfeature of either colour,and you are correct the storm that was featured on the CCGB website did have coloured calipers but this wasn't a VW promotional pic so its more than likely that they were done after delivery...........as there is a picture of a mystic blue storm in the official stormbrochure which shows the calipers to be the standard factory finish silver

The CCGB site pics of the Storm were mostly Guy Hartley's - and his Storm is far from standard....

All storms were modified from standard VRs at the dealership that took delivery, so even the promotional brochure could differ from the finished spec.

The CCGB pics also show the original Dunlop rubber, so the car must have been pretty fresh at the time it was taken.

:?

All storms were modified from standard VRs at the dealership that took delivery, so even the promotional brochure could differ from the finished spec.

The CCGB pics also show the original Dunlop rubber, so the car must have been pretty fresh at the time it was taken.

:?

yes they were modified at the dealerships......the dealers fitted the storm badges and also some storms had the bbs wheel centres instead of the VW logo wheel centres(as per the brochure) but none of thestorms(let alone the mystic blue ones) came from the factory with red calipers any that have had red calipers were more than likely done by the owner rather than the dealer,as for the fact its wearing the original dunlops then i've known some cars to be still wearing their original rubber after even 3 years so that doesn't quantify it as coming from the factory or dealer with red calipers,believe me i have seen quite a few mystic blue storms and none that i've seen have ever had the red calipers on them and thats some with very low miles so unlikely to have needed to have the calipers replaced

if the storm badges were stuck on buy the dealers is it not possible that some dealers could of made up storms in other colours, just to get a sale. After all its only a badge. not like you've got anything special like Factory A/C 8) :shock: and Purple seats backs and door cards etc, :lol: unlike the Jet Models and the Campaigns, and the Itallian Estoril Special Edition which are factory specials. or Limited edition in the case of the campaign

No disrespect to the storm, but every thing on them is or was should i say and option on the list of a standard model. apart from the paint and the badges, which im sure you will find was available on other cars in the VW range at some point. Even my paint code which i thought was Corrado only, i believe was used in Spain on the Mk3 golf, it bloody close ill say that after parking next to one.

if the storm badges were stuck on buy the dealers is it not possible that some dealers could of made up storms in other colours, just to get a sale. After all its only a badge. .

no chance of that happening as the dealer would be done under the trade description act.....and of course VW-UK wouldn't be too happy...also people buying a storm would have at least read the brochure for one you would have thought

also by the time of the storm the VR6 was in hot demand so they wouldn't have needed to resort to falsifying a VR6 into being a storm and not 100% on this but i think the badges would have been "asigned" to the genuine storms the dealer was given

There IS a big chance though that dealers were selling Storm badges for non-storm cars. I know for a fact that some of them did do this (my Campaign used to have Storm badges on it :mad: )

There IS a big chance though that dealers were selling Storm badges for non-storm cars. I know for a fact that some of them did do this (my Campaign used to have Storm badges on it :mad: )

i'm not disputing that jeremy,as the badges must have been available for a while from the parts depts of VW dealers,but what i am saying is its very very highly unlikely for a VW dealer to put storm badges onto a leathered up non-storm VR and try pass it off as one

Badges were put on NON-STORM's. This i know as i have the only factory storm without the badges!

And before you all ask, yes it an offical storm :evil: (i made the dealer provide reams of evidence from VW UK to prove it!)

Badges were put on NON-STORM's. This i know as i have the only factory storm without the badges!

And before you all ask, yes it an offical storm :evil: (i made the dealer provide reams of evidence from VW UK to prove it!)

but did you buy it "brand-new" if so then why didn't you complain?and why didn't the dealer replace them?,though if you bought it 2nd-hand then they would have more than likely "been" on at some point and then have been taken off by persons or persons unknown.............i'm not saying that there isn't some storm badged fakes out there

Roddy, I wasn't disputing your comments :) I doubt that any "dealers" put the badges on the wrong cars, but owners certainly did.

Jim, I think there were quite a few storms that didn't get the badges originally, as some dealers probably "forgot" to put them on. There were quite a few uncrupulous "traders" who put the badges on non-storms though :mad:

If its so hard to tell the diff between a VR6 and a Storm isnt it worthing thinking about if the Storm is really worth all the extra money.

Personally if your after buying a vr6 corrado and a Storm turns up good value for moeny than its worth it but going out specially for a Storm jus doesnt seem worth it.

Just what i thought from reading this post........... :?

Furki

I think that Roddy would agree with me in saying that it may not well be worth the extra money/time needed to buy a "good" STORM but they are one of the rarer Cs.This is usually the reason that people pay the extra money for them,not just for the spec.We all know that a VR6 can out spec a STORM but you will not find a standard VR6 in Mystic Blue,repainted one maybe.I personally bought mine based on the fact that mine was VR6 price and I thought that I would be part of an elite owners club - as are all C owners in my opinion.

Just my 2p's worth...

John

but you will not find a standard VR6 in Mystic Blue

That's true but you will see plenty of MK3 Golfs wearing Mystic Blue and Classic Green though!

Just about the only things VW didn't take from the Corporate parts bin for the Storm are the little red badges! I think they should have deleted the VR6 badge and just had 'Corrado Storm'. Much neater and invokes an air of mystery.

The Storm is just history repeating itself though. The Scirocco storm didn't get much extra over the regular GTI either.

So for future Storm models, read that as leather and a red badge!

Can you go into VW and buy the Storm badges? Or are they anal about it like BMW's M livery? You need to show them the log book to get genuine M badges.

Kev

but you will not find a standard VR6 in Mystic Blue

That's true but you will see plenty of MK3 Golfs wearing Mystic Blue and Classic Green though!

Just about the only things VW didn't take from the Corporate parts bin for the Storm are the little red badges! I think they should have deleted the VR6 badge and just had 'Corrado Storm'. Much neater and invokes an air of mystery.

The Storm is just history repeating itself though. The Scirocco storm didn't get much extra over the regular GTI either.

So for future Storm models, read that as leather and a red badge!

Can you go into VW and buy the Storm badges? Or are they anal about it like BMW's M livery? You need to show them the log book to get genuine M badges.

Kev

they've been deleted for well over 2 years kev!!!!............but i reckon they weren't as "anal" as what BMW are about "Motorsport" parts